2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shutter-Hesitation-Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This should give you a idea what you will be looking at.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pic, good add, thanks! So new symptoms..loss of coolant and a slight smell of coolant..And it doesn't happen every time but I've heard a tapping when I shut the engine off..lasts just a few seconds..oddness...

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JesBrum56 (12-09-2020)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Dry test first, then add a teaspoonful of oil to each cylinder (one at a time) and re-test. Post your results.
I'm going to retest tomorrow..not sure of these results..CEL is on & code is #8 misfire P0308...I did all 4 cylinders 3x and the strange thing was #6 started at 150 then 160, 165, then 120 & 120???
Dry test results:
#2-170
#4-170
#6-120
#8-140

Did an oil change was very dark w/no antifreeze..all five qts were there so, plenum repair worked. But, when I went to take the filter off NOTHING dripped down and very little in the filter. First time I ever used that type of filter..anti drain back valve maybe? Guess I'll find out on the next change. Still have a low curb idle reading tho.
I do have a new FI I might install..I'm still leaning towards the #8 FI being bad and the HG being blown..But I will do the dry/wet comp tests just to be sure before I tear it apart! Any thoughts advice.

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-12-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Did seafoam again, this time via the vac line almost no smoke at all..retested the compression with the same results..Replaced the #8 FI didn't fix the shutter issues..So I think I'm looking at the head gasket or transmission/torque converter causing the shutter. And the oil pump causing the low curb idle issue?? O btw, I did replace the passenger side hub assemble, so at least something is fixed

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-12-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Did you ever route your plug wires per the TSB?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Your numbers are too far apart...... biggest difference allowed is, all cylinders should be within 25% of each other, yours are not..... I would check and see if you have the six, and eight plug wires crossed......

Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

dodge dude94, HeyYou, I checked their route last week, I can check again today. I thought there should only be a 10% difference at most. But yeah way to far off. Would 6 & 8 be much lower if it was the head gasket? And cross-firing wires can cause low compression??

Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

cross-firing won't cause low compression, that's purely mechanical.

You have something going on there.... a leakdown test would tell you where the compression was going. (valves, or rings....)

Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Sorry I misunderstood you guys with the whole wire routing/crossed wire stuff..Like I said I'll check the wires again and will do leak down test too..I am questioning that test tho, because if the valves, seats, cylinders, rings are ok how would I know? Because if the dry results stays the same it means it's a valve thing. If the reading goes up it's a cylinder or ring problem. Would the readings go down if it's the H gasket?

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

6-Truck in gear, stopped with foot on break, once break ped released truck shutters
7-Stops once gas is applied

My truck -Details in my header; is doing the same exact thing; except I have very rare misfire on number 7 .

I've done:

Tune up about 3 times, plugs; coil; plug wire; tsb routing (and then some) TPS;MAP; Cleaned the TB; Coolant change; only thing on that i noticed was in my resivor tank looked like old clumpy Chocolate milk. kinda a rust color if you will.. was like gunk.. in the bottom..

No coolant loss i know of.. cant say if she burns Oil; I dont think so other than what pulls through the PCV and crank case filter; as she has a few leaks here and there..

She does get the random check gauge; no oil pressure problem that is common on these trucks;

Tensionor; Belt; Idler; checked for any other worn out pullies; various testing to seal off VAC lines to see if it was a problem with one of them.. and various otherthings..

Put some lucas through the tyranny no difference; tranny shop said the TC was fine..

Reverse stall RPM will not go any higher than 2000 RPM Floored..

and at this point i forget what else ive done.

I know i need Engine mounts; that might be part of it.. but there is def. a gremlin in the motor.

Seems mechanical of nature (something messing with the timing/firing..

I'm down to injectors; (THinking of power flush the system) timing chain/sprockets. Valves, springs; push rods; cam lobe warm or something like that..

I hope that you find and fix the issue; and I hope it's something cheap and easy.