2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential Emergency Help Needed...Please call me and help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a read through this, it will help you get back to running order.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gyViORvtU/edit

Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
1stGenDak
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I removed the axle shafts and ring gear carrier from the diff and the pinion bearing turns freely without any kind of grinding.

It has to be something with the ring gear assembly that I am doing wrong.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Check pinion depth.

Look for evidence of "bad things" going on. (strange wear patterns, metal filings, that kind of thing.)

Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Until you get the pinion depth right you will not get that gear set to work right, the crush sleeve needs to be crushed and that takes over 200ft tq to start it. Your pinion is to far out in the case.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
tonepaq
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure both bearing races for the pinion are all the way seated.I had to use a race driver kit for mine and it still took a ton of beating to get them all the way seated.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
1stGenDak
Professional

Well I have been at this for three days now, and I THINK I have it correct this time.

I don't know what happened but every time I took the rear end apart to check the pinion play it was very tight. I was using a torque wrench on the pinion nut and i tightened it to 210 ft lbs (not an easy thing to do laying on your back). I put the assembly back together and it still was too far out and making the ring gear click. I then took it back apart and used a breaker bar and my hydraulic jack to tighten down on the pinion nut. I saw it turn a little, so I put it back together and when i adjusted the side bearing adjusters I could make the noise go away if the right side bearing was about three turns further in than the left adjuster. I took it on a road test and it worked fine for a couple minutes then the noise slowly started to get louder. I jacked it back up and found that the pinion gear had loosened up and now there was a 1/16" of play even though the pinion nut was EXTREMELY tight. I guess the bearings werent seated all the way or maybe one of the races straightened out and fully seated but I couldn't get the crush sleeve to crush enough to take up the slack.
So i went through the trash and found the old crush sleeve and installed it (it was 1/16" shorter than the new one) Tightened the pinion nut to 210 ft lbs and the slack was gone. Pinion turned smoothly but had some resistance due to the bearings being compressed. I put the rear end back together and everything turns smoothly. I adjusted the backlash so it was minimal and I am waiting on the gasket to dry.

I sure hope this is the last time I have to take the cover off and drain the fluid. I am so tired of being dirty and borrowing my dads car.

I have about 21 labor hours into this job and over $290 in materials

Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Get a junk yard rear end or take it to a professional. You have no idea what you're doing and that rear end will never be right again.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
1stGenDak
Professional

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Get a junk yard rear end or take it to a professional. You have no idea what you're doing and that rear end will never be right again.
It may not be to Chrysler's specs but it is working perfectly and zero noise!

Zac

Quick Reply: Differential Emergency Help Needed...Please call me and help