2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick Fix For Squealing Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for hate on Dayco, mine is perfect.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine did that too.. I put 3 different belts on my dak and it still squealed untill she warmed up.. I put a Good Year Gator back which helps with that problem as the groves are not solid channels.. but divided allowing for misalignment of any pully groves so no sounds are present... Plus she sounds cool with that belt on.. people ask me if a small super charger cus the way it sounds..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
MWarfel95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I went ahead and put a new belt on it.

The soap thing didn't work so I just decided to buy a new Dayco belt from Advance Auto Parts and install it myself (spent only $36). The squealing is finally gone!

Thanks for the help guys.

Max

Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MWarfel95
Ok guys, I went ahead and put a new belt on it.

The soap thing didn't work so I just decided to buy a new Dayco belt from Advance Auto Parts and install it myself (spent only $36). The squealing is finally gone!

Thanks for the help guys.

Max
Never would of guessed that! lol I suppose that heavy duty pumice-powered soap might work better?

And your guys' dayco belt might work just fine, but my gatorback looks waaayy cooler. Almost looks as though the back of the belt has gator-like qualities

Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Dayco on my truck is great.
My Gatorback on my car is great.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

I can't seem to find the correct OEM effective/outside length for the serpentine belt..when I checked rock, advanced, napa, pep boys, autozone it seems that there isn't an exact standard..the effective #'s can be 97.5, 97.2, 97.75 etc. from brand to brand..I'm wondering if the auto tensioner compensates for the difference..over 2yrs ago I was having issues with the belt making noise..got a new belt from advanced, (dayco), didn't really work, only for a short time then noise again..new tensioner..same thing, came back..new idler pully, brought belt back, went through a few belts, so finally I went to autozone and bought their cheap one..no noise for at least 2k..got another lasted 5k, and another and it's still on..pt#975k7 So the 'correct' one didn't work and the 'cheap' one kinda does but I'm still not sure which one to get this time??

And Napa states: Features and Benefits:Serpentine Belt Design Manufactured w/ First-Generation Belt Materials.
Meets Basic Requirements When OE Performance & Belt Life Are Not Critical.
Not For Severe Driving Or High Load Applications

When is performance "not critical"?? I'll stop rambling now, any thoughts on what I should do, brands really seem to be hit or miss, so more on the longer or shorter issue...

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Don't just replace stuff right away when the diagnosis for this is so easy...
And if you do decide to get a new belt, personally I would get a gatorback belt and not a dayco. My new dayco belt squealed, and my new gatorback is quiet as can be.

I'm running Gator Back.. Rock Auto had them clearance for 13 bucks.. not sure if they still got them or not in stock..

But fixed my on going problem i had with squealing and squeaking.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Forgot to add that the W-groove type belts works better for older rides that might have slightly misaligned pulleys...

Quick Reply: Quick Fix For Squealing Belt?