2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bought a used sct tuner.. wtf

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Man I'm so tempted to buy a tune for my 1998 Ram. It's healthy just weak...well, as weak as the 360 can be called in a truck. LOL.

My hesitation is that I have a virgin 360 donor engine that will end up a 408 someday and I really hate the idea of paying for a tune when I'll be replacing the engine and will have to buy a tube for it too.
My "preloaded" tunes option is $265. $100 to upgrade to stage 1 tuning for non forced induction. You can either buy the $365 option and be set, or do the $265 for now and upgrade later.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 AM
TheBullRoars
Amateur

Had to make a 2 hr trip each way yesterday, and again today. The 93 tune is fun for sure, and the 87 is a gas sipper. My speedometer is off and I can't afford a full tank this week lol so I cant give exact numbers but the mpg increase was noticeable so this will all pay for itself over time

Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you can 'share' aka, buy a used SCT unit? Thought that it locks its memory to the truck it's 1st used on. SCTs way to keep the $$ coming in.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
So you can 'share' aka, buy a used SCT unit? Thought that it locks its memory to the truck it's 1st used on. SCTs way to keep the $$ coming in.
You can return it back to stock and that unlocks it to tune on another truck. Thing is that the tunes on the tuner are created by the pcm part number itself. So whatever truck that its programmed to needs specific tunes.

I've created dyno and track tested "preloaded/can" tunes for every dodge pcm from '96 to '03 5.2, 5.9, 3.9, V10 and 4.7 pcm's. And for '03 to '06 hemi/4.7 pcms

Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM
TheBullRoars
Amateur

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
If its not the exact same pcm you're going to be spending about 500
more than you have to

Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

TheBullRoars is right. If you program ur pcm with the wrong p/n and the recovery process fails it's a new pcm.

I sell new tuners with preloaded tunes for $265.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:07 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemifever
TheBullRoars is right. If you program ur pcm with the wrong p/n and the recovery process fails it's a new pcm.

I sell new tuners with preloaded tunes for $265.
You must be Sean eh? I'm running stock everything but see my sig and you know it could use some help..I'll pm you when I'm ready..New cylinder head 1st...Thank guys!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hemifever
My "preloaded" tunes option is $265. $100 to upgrade to stage 1 tuning for non forced induction. You can either buy the $365 option and be set, or do the $265 for now and upgrade later.

Ok let me approach this a tad more seriously since I am interested for my truck. The 360 in my 1998 Ram is literally factory stock from the air box to the exhaust system.

What could a tune from you offer in the way of gains? I prefer low end grunt over top end HP. Something low to mid range. I am not concerned with fuel mileage. Maybe just more power to play with until I build the 408.

As far as mods between then and now, nothing but possible a custom built CIA and I might replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Ok let me approach this a tad more seriously since I am interested for my truck. The 360 in my 1998 Ram is literally factory stock from the air box to the exhaust system.

What could a tune from you offer in the way of gains? I prefer low end grunt over top end HP. Something low to mid range. I am not concerned with fuel mileage. Maybe just more power to play with until I build the 408.

As far as mods between then and now, nothing but possible a custom built CIA and I might replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow.
Have you addressed the plenum prob and failing cat and o2's issue's ? If not , all the tuner will do is eliminate the death flash if you have it. And it will ping even on the 87 tune. And what's a custom built "CIA" ?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

yes fixing the plenum is always a MUST with my tunes, even with the 87 octane tune. And after fixing the plenum, run a can of sea foam through the vacuum line to soak and clean up the cylinders.

For the 87 tune I oftentimes use stock shift points to keep the rpms down for mpg. If you don't care about that then I can put a shift pattern change on there. Eliminating the death flash of course, removing tq mgmt, & altering the fuel are things I do with the 87 tune. The premium tunes get that and more aggressive timing curve. On a stock truck, even the 87 tune will be much spunkier in a 0 to 100 mph run. I also alter the air curve so the engine is a little more responsive and when you rev it up and let off the throttle is recovers much quicker and doesn't hang the rpms up

Quick Reply: bought a used sct tuner.. wtf