2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bought a used sct tuner.. wtf

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Have you addressed the plenum prob and failing cat and o2's issue's ? If not , all the tuner will do is eliminate the death flash if you have it. And it will ping even on the 87 tune. And what's a custom built "CIA" ?

The plenum gasket in my truck is not leaking. I have checked twice since acquiring it. I will not perform that on the truck until I see signs of oil. Plugs # 7 & 8 read just as clean as the rest and they all looked good. The engine runs good and yes I have run Seafoam through the air system and the fuel system. It'll get some Seafoam in the crank case when it's time for an oil change.

Custom CIA. I built a box fed with outside air only and run the duct myself. The 'kits' I see typically just have a cone filter that tucks between the engine and the passenger fender and all it's doing is sucking hot air. The stock air box is a cold air system but it's corrugated and restrictive. I was a box with a large cone filter and smooth ducting all the way up into the throttle body hat.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, good luck with that plenum and cat. I still don't know what a "CIA" is ? LOL

Old 08-18-2012, 05:47 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, good luck with that plenum and cat. I still don't know what a "CIA" is ? LOL
CIA- Central Intelligence Agency....... LOL

Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I know that! LOL But we don't have anything on our trucks with the initials "CIA"

Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

I know that! LOL But we don't have anything on our trucks with the initials "CIA"
i know, but i HAD too.

on another note since we are talking about security.... pres. f4gbama flew over my house this afternoon..... couldnt get within 200 yards of the rochester commons..... waste of time in my book anyways!

Last edited by redneck_ram; 08-18-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoops, backwards. Oh well, flame on.

What do you mean, "Good luck with the plenum and cat?"

Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by hemifever
yes fixing the plenum is always a MUST with my tunes, even with the 87 octane tune. And after fixing the plenum, run a can of sea foam through the vacuum line to soak and clean up the cylinders.

For the 87 tune I oftentimes use stock shift points to keep the rpms down for mpg. If you don't care about that then I can put a shift pattern change on there. Eliminating the death flash of course, removing tq mgmt, & altering the fuel are things I do with the 87 tune. The premium tunes get that and more aggressive timing curve. On a stock truck, even the 87 tune will be much spunkier in a 0 to 100 mph run. I also alter the air curve so the engine is a little more responsive and when you rev it up and let off the throttle is recovers much quicker and doesn't hang the rpms up
I take that back, I'm running a 40 series flowmaster..and I repaired the plenum already...

Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by Sooper
The plenum gasket in my truck is not leaking. I have checked twice since acquiring it. I will not perform that on the truck until I see signs of oil. Plugs # 7 & 8 read just as clean as the rest and they all looked good. The engine runs good and yes I have run Seafoam through the air system and the fuel system. It'll get some Seafoam in the crank case when it's time for an oil change.

Custom CIA. I built a box fed with outside air only and run the duct myself. The 'kits' I see typically just have a cone filter that tucks between the engine and the passenger fender and all it's doing is sucking hot air. The stock air box is a cold air system but it's corrugated and restrictive. I was a box with a large cone filter and smooth ducting all the way up into the throttle body hat.
I 2nd that..those 'cone' aka cold air intakes suck in nothing but hot air so they (k&N) need a new name for them ;D And I'm not sure why dodge's OE air inlet piece is corrugated..I guess they (engineers) overslept the day that lesson was tought in school...Just throwing it out there as I will only speak for myself but my plenum was blown (& drinking 1/2 qt per 500mi) and did have issues with #8 mis, but the plug was never oil fouled! I'm no pro!! and aside from pulling the IM, the best way (I know of) to check for plenum gasket failure is to pop off the TB and look for oil poolage on the pan..(beyond the standard PVC crud)...

Quick Reply: bought a used sct tuner.. wtf