2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter rarely locking

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the 4x4 worked. I think I got the problem of the vents taken care of. I rechecked my check valves and the one on the intake was bad. I blew on it a few times about about 1 out of every 3 times it wouldn't work. I MIGHT be good to go, since the PCV valve seems to have fixed the TC problem. I am set to be doing a lot of driving tomorrow and that should tell me more. It's hard to tell for sure since I am so hyper sensitive to any rpm change now!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope it works out. And keep us updated. On a side note. Do us and yourself a favor. And please add ALL the info about your truck to your sig AND your profile please.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Nsmitty21
Professional

So, I drove about 400 this weekend and while my truck is running much better after the PCV valve, I dont think it is running correctly yet. It seems like most of the time the TC still isnt locking up, or is unlocks prematurely. On every gentle slope my rpm would shoot up 200 rpm or so. A few time durring the trip the TC actually locked in and didnt do this. Does anyone have any Ideas on what else could be causing this??

Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry I have to disagree with one thing here.. BWD is POS now that Standard Owns them.. actually the Durlast for our truck is made by Wells; which is alot better than BWD/SMP.

Just throwing that out there.. Factory for mine was made by holly. The O' house brand I beleive is made by BWD/SMP.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,186 Likes on 2,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsmitty21
So, I drove about 400 this weekend and while my truck is running much better after the PCV valve, I dont think it is running correctly yet. It seems like most of the time the TC still isnt locking up, or is unlocks prematurely. On every gentle slope my rpm would shoot up 200 rpm or so. A few time durring the trip the TC actually locked in and didnt do this. Does anyone have any Ideas on what else could be causing this??
Checked your TPS yet?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

No I haven't checked the tps yet since replacing it last month. I have to see if I still have a volt gage and check it again tonight. Do tps's come out of the box bad that often??

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No I haven't checked the tps yet since replacing it last month. I have to see if I still have a volt gage and check it again tonight. Do tps's come out of the box bad that often??

What brand did you buy and did you disconnect the negative battery cable before replacing it ?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

I bought a BWD brand TPS. I can't remember if I took the neg off or not. If it told me to on the instructions with the TPS I did. I know that I have disconnected the neg since then though.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a BWD brand TPS. I can't remember if I took the neg off or not. If it told me to on the instructions with the TPS I did. I know that I have disconnected the neg since then though.
I think all he was getting at is ALWAYS remove the neg batt cable when replacing a sensor..And I've used/use BWD and never had a problem. But the TPS could technically have been damaged before you opened the box, during installation, or post install right...

Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional

I'm about 90% sure I did unhook the neg, but dont know for sure.

But, I do think I found the issue. I have had my CEL on for awhile now saying I had a vacuum leak. Which I knew since my vents werent working. I went in to have the CEL cleared and there were 2 codes. One for the vacuum leak, and on for the Torque Converter control solenoid. Has anyone ever messed with one of these?? Are they hard to replace??

Quick Reply: Torque Converter rarely locking