2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

magnum valve train and heads on la block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How to Rebuild Mopar Magnum V8 How to Rebuild Mopar Magnum V8

A great book for every Magnum owner. IIRC, the heads are not interchangeable, and this entire project sounds like a three-ring circle jerk.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
my99ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great book for every Magnum owner. IIRC, the heads are not interchangeable, and this entire project sounds like a three-ring circle jerk.[/quote]
so you need to tell me all the old la motor guys out there that have done the magnum head swap didnt really do it?????and by all means keep ur rude comments to ur self

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Found what I was looking for:

Differences Between Magnum Heads and LA Heads

• Valve Covers: Magnum valve covers are squared at the ends. LA covers are rounded at the ends.
  • Valve Cover Bolt Pattern: Magnums have 10 bolt valve covers for better sealing. LA covers have 5 bolts
  • Combustion Chamber: Magnums are a closed chamber design. Most LA heads are open chambered except for 302 and similar castings and some early 273 castings
  • Intake Valve Size: Stock Magnums have 1.920" intake valves. The larger LA intake valves range from 1.88" to 2.02". (Note: Mopar Performance does offer Magnum R/T heads with 2.02" intake valves.)
  • Exhaust Valve Size: Magnums have 1.625" exhaust valves. The largest LA exhaust valves are usually 1.60"
  • Valve Stem Size: Magnums have 8mm sized valve stems, which are lighter than the LA 3/8" sized valve stems.
  • Heat Crossover: Magnums have no intake manifold heat crossover like LA heads.
  • Rocker Arm Mounting: Magnums have stud mounted rocker arms. LA rocker arms are shaft mounted
  • Rocker Arm Oiling: Magnum rocker arms are oiled through the pushrods. LA rockers are oiled through the shafts from block passages
  • Rocker Arm Ratio: Magnums arms are 1.6:1 ratio. LA rocker arms are 1.5:1 ratio.
  • Pushrods: Magnums have hollow pushrods to feed oil to the rocker arms. LA heads work with solid pushrods. (Note: There were some LA roller cam engines that were built with hollow oil-through pushrods.)
  • Intake Mounting Bolt Holes: Magnums have vertical intake mounting bolts. LA heads have angled intake mounting bolts.
  • Head Bolts: Magnums require different head bolts than LA heads.
  • Accessory Bolt Holes: Magnums have 5 accessory bolt holes on each end. LAs have 3 accessory bolt holes on each end.
  • Intake Airflow: Magnum intake airflow is about 190 CFM. LA intake airflow is about 160 CFM.
  • Exhaust Ports: Magnum exhaust ports do not have the "point" on the floor like LA exhaust ports.

Originally Posted by my99ram
so you need to tell me all the old la motor guys out there that have done the magnum head swap didnt really do it?????and by all means keep ur rude comments to ur self
"Ur"? What does an ancient city of ancient Mesopotamia have to do with
anything? You appear quite unliterate.

As an aside -- don't post in a public forum if you can't handle the comments. Believe it or not, in real life not everyone deserves a trophy for participating.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM
my99ram
Rookie

will the magnum timing cover fit on a la block?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by my99ram
i think you are mixing info up. most people with older vehicles do not swap magnums heads onto there old engines. they swap the whole engine. the magnum engines will bolt right into a older dodge vehicle but the older dodge engines will not bolt into the newer dodge trucks.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
How to Rebuild Mopar Magnum V8

A great book for every Magnum owner. IIRC, the heads are not interchangeable, and this entire project sounds like a three-ring circle jerk.
This whole project/concept/idea, has fail written all over it. Of course that was if it was ever really going to happen to begin with.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
This whole project/concept/idea, has fail written all over it. Of course that was if it was ever really going to happen to begin with.

Now you're being mean as well. Someone's going to be very upset because momma said he was special.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I swear it's not my fault. It's the way I raised with all the abuse from that paddle hitting my ***.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
my99ram
Rookie

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Now you're being mean as well. Someone's going to be very upset because momma said he was special.
why dont u guys go **** on your own threads. and grow up while your at it

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

This project fails because the magnum motors are superior in every way to the la. Why bother with it?

Quick Reply: magnum valve train and heads on la block?