2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 4bt Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochoff
With a help of a bump of ether in the intake, shes a runner with solid oil pressure. It was a major pain getting the air bled out of the fuel. Once it fires it stays running smoothly but it had trouble again the second time. I definitely need to upgrade my battery
Still needs the coolers hooked up
Gonna stick with 1 battery or up it to 2?

And the jealousy is kicking in

Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EFS463
this is awesome. I've heard of these builds but never really seen one into action...in a lighter 1/2 ton with a mildy built automatic I'm curious to see what your fuel mileage numbers will be, keep us update. On the note of auto or stick, I think in the dodge diesels a built auto is better than a stick. That 47rh will withstand anything from that 4bt without a doubt. the guys with built autos always spank the 5 spds at the track...built autos ftw
Uh, if you are racing a diesel, no one on the planet will argue that a built auto is faster. If you are towing, driving daily, and using the truck like a normal person the manuals will last longer and get better fuel economy. Better for sled pulling too, if that suits your fancy.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM
OK_Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always favored the manual trans because even if I am dumb enough to run my battery down or kill my starter I can bump start her. I had to limp my truck home just last month when my slave cylider gave up the fight. Got some funny looks as I started her in gear but after that there was not a lot of difference rpm shifting her.

Red lights were a pain, but it allowed me to get home where I could fix her without a tow.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I have pull started an auto tranny pickup. No jumper cables out in the boonies. It finally turned over about 38 mph. If you don't believe me and have a long strip of pavement out in the boonies, try it. Just an aside. Carry on.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by OK_Ram
I have always favored the manual trans because even if I am dumb enough to run my battery down or kill my starter I can bump start her. I had to limp my truck home just last month when my slave cylider gave up the fight. Got some funny looks as I started her in gear but after that there was not a lot of difference rpm shifting her.

Red lights were a pain, but it allowed me to get home where I could fix her without a tow.
I agree. Manuals have way too many advantages for me to ever consider buying an auto.

And Moo, congrats on getting the truck running! More videos !

Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Moochoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line again was.

The auto was 1/3 the cost, simpler to swap, just as strong, and more convenient to drive... Plus at only 105hp, the manual won't do ya any favors when getting up to speed.

And I'm thinking about trying the biggest battery I can find at the farm store before I dig in a junkyard for a second tray... The engine bay has holes setup for one since its identical to the heavy duty counter parts.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you don't have to buy the biggest battery. you got to find the one with the most cold cranking amps. glad you got it running. can't wait to see what type of mileage you get with it.
Originally Posted by EFS463
this is awesome. I've heard of these builds but never really seen one into action...in a lighter 1/2 ton with a mildy built automatic I'm curious to see what your fuel mileage numbers will be, keep us update. On the note of auto or stick, I think in the dodge diesels a built auto is better than a stick. That 47rh will withstand anything from that 4bt without a doubt. the guys with built autos always spank the 5 spds at the track...built autos ftw
i think that is a matter of were you live and the type of driving you do. auto's are great if you tend to get stuck in traffic jamb. stick is not that great in traffic or large cities but are very efficient. my dad's 95 ford 4.9 with 5 speed seems to average about 21mpg US when mainly doing highway driving.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
OK_Ram
Rookie

I completely understand the reasoning for the auto trans in this build. It is saving you money and letting you tackle converting just the engine instead of the engine and the transmission, adding pedals and reworking the hole in the floor. I can say that I have been spanked many times hot rodding around in one of my older cars by an auto trans car. In low horsepower applications the manual can change the entire experience vs. an auto. Just having 5 or 6 gears to get up to speed vs. 4 is a huge benefit. Your build looks fantastic and I am in no way criticizing any part of it. Just hanging out in the peanut gallery

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Really cool dude, kudos.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Moochoff
Bottom line again was.

The auto was 1/3 the cost, simpler to swap, just as strong, and more convenient to drive... Plus at only 105hp, the manual won't do ya any favors when getting up to speed.

And I'm thinking about trying the biggest battery I can find at the farm store before I dig in a junkyard for a second tray... The engine bay has holes setup for one since its identical to the heavy duty counter parts.
I apologize, I was not trying to criticize your project in any way. I am jealous!

Quick Reply: 1998 4bt Cummins Swap