2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 4bt Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigabop
hell I could use one of those alternators!

factory cummins alternator is 120 amp.

and I have a 1300w sound system that is still being put together (still gotta replace stock speakers before I can turn the gains up on my 1000w amp)
120 Amp is factory on many 5.9L Magnum engines too... AFAIK this truck doesn't have tow package, so when I put on the 120 amp it was a upgrade, not a direct replacement.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Moochoff
Veteran

guess a switch is one way of doing the fuel..

on the diesel trucks our computer controls a relay for the fuel pump during starting.

lift pump primes for 5 seconds when key is turned on, and lift pump is also triggered during starting.

if you just pump the starter it will cycle for 30 seconds before shutting back off.

are you using a grid heater for winter starts? If you put one on, you will want to switch it with a relay and run dual batteries as the alternator on even the 6BT's cant keep up with the grid heater. and dont leave it on constantly.. our computer controls that thing too and cycles it on and off every few seconds to keep from pulling too hard on the batteries (it draws 200 amps, or 2400watts of power)
Im only using a 120vac block heater for now, I didnt want another switch on the dash for a grid heater. Also the main reason I stayed with a single since I was passing on it. I figured why complicate the system with a parallel circuit if I dont have to. (Cummins recommends 650-800 cca).

I really dont like the mechanical lift pump. I have been considering an electric pump with a small psi regulator on it to help with priming after a filter change.

I might not even run a radiator fan for a while, looks like 4bt guys running a radiator my size have troubles getting to 180-200 degrees unless it sits idling on a hot summer day. I have the fan and thermostat already, just need to hook it up with a cheap relay from the hardware store...

Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Jigabop
Champion

I would still run a fan.

just put a winter front on the truck (clip on grille inserts that block off airflow from the grille)

as for electric pump, airdog 100 system would be perfect for it. gives you a 2 micron spin on fuel filter, and a spin on water separator with water drain, and built in fuel pressure regulator + lifetime warranty. gives you room to mod it up to 500hp without fuel supply issues as well!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

We will want burn out videos when you're done.

And a ride around.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

I would still run a fan.

just put a winter front on the truck (clip on grille inserts that block off airflow from the grille)

as for electric pump, airdog 100 system would be perfect for it. gives you a 2 micron spin on fuel filter, and a spin on water separator with water drain, and built in fuel pressure regulator + lifetime warranty. gives you room to mod it up to 500hp without fuel supply issues as well!
Already running the ad100 on my 06 with a donaldson the VE pump will evidently blow low pressure seal with anymore than 20 psi so I am a little hesitant lol. and its a little loud on the frame rail ( i have tried a few things but could still hear it over a straight pipe at idle)

I will get to the fan eventually, but for now its not a huge concern. I am running brand new oil pressure and coolant temp sending units for peace of mind.

And as far as a burnout?? I was planning on a small one tonight No downpipe yet so well see what it looks/smells like

Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Hopefully this will hold everyone over until Friday. I don't get enough day light after work for a good burn out video

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

It needs its tach hooked up yet... Looking good tho!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking pretty sweet man! So, when you gonna have another 4BT/Transmission for my swap? And what's the going rate?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

OMG
That is so cool. Sounds like a 6BT!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by Moochoff
Already running the ad100 on my 06 with a donaldson the VE pump will evidently blow low pressure seal with anymore than 20 psi so I am a little hesitant lol. and its a little loud on the frame rail ( i have tried a few things but could still hear it over a straight pipe at idle)

I will get to the fan eventually, but for now its not a huge concern. I am running brand new oil pressure and coolant temp sending units for peace of mind.

And as far as a burnout?? I was planning on a small one tonight No downpipe yet so well see what it looks/smells like
airdog on vp44 trucks does 15-17psi...newer ones have adjustable regulator, older ones like mine you just swap springs for pressure adjustment.

Quick Reply: 1998 4bt Cummins Swap