2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 4bt Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a left hand machining grade drill bit (shouldn't be more than $10) that is slightly larger than the old bolt, drill it out, then tap it for an oversize bolt. You will have to drill the manifold for that one bolt as well, but DON'T tap the manifold!! I hope that you know that already... But double check to be sure that drilling it larger won't stress your head, some will and some won't... Looking good though! (minus the cussing...). Keep it up!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Moochoff
Veteran

If I can't get the rest of the bolt out of the threads I was actually thinking about using a slightly thinner exhaust bolt with an extra 1/2" of threads and using a nut on the backside to fasten down the manifold... It's on the the middle exhaust port so I don't think it will leak...

Opinions on this? It would save me quite a bit of time but I don't want to do anythingthat will just need to be redone later.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

That might work. But personally I would drill it out, either tap for a larger bolt, or put a heli-coil in. Ask a local machine. Shop what they think! Usually they know all the ins and outs of those stuck bolts. If you can post looking down at the head where u want to put the nut, that would be great!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Moochoff
Veteran

I can do that. I'm just hesitant about drilling bigger just because I don't know how easily I can recenter the hole now

I'll get a pic tonight

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Here's an overhead pic of the head where the problem is
Name:  photo-26.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  78.2 KB
Messed around with mounts tonight with no update. Also hooked up my fuel lines. 3/8" hose slides right onto old hard line coming from tank. Haven't zip tied yet so it's still drooping
Name:  photo-27.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  70.8 KB

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

I suggest using a Heli-Coil or similar thread insert. Just drill out the remainings of the old bolt, tap the hole for insert and screw it in. Much cleaner looking than tapping it over size thread and using bigger bolt.
Just the other day I fixed broken alternator mount with Time-Serts (similar to Heli-Coil), and two threads took time about 15-20 minutes.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
simidrm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I would have seen this post earlier,I work on and rebuild 4bt everyday I know where there is a few for sale.
They have ford bell housings and bwt19a transmission.
Located in Ohio,for around 3500 for complete trucks

Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

That's not bad at all.. I ended up with a complete 4bt, built 47rh, and 241dld tcase for 3500 plus what I had into the original gasser. I'll have an update with pics tomorrow. At the bar and not handy with the photobucket at the moment

Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Well I got the motor and trans bolted together. I have been deciding the best place for trans to sit for shift linkage. I am putting together some cardboard mounts to mock up as motor mounts. I have a buddy with a drill press and a plasma cutter. I'll be using the liquid filled mounts. Probably back/center mounts on the passenger side, still haven't figured the best block location yet due to the starter and extra oil fill location(which I'm hoping to delete with my mount and a gasket.

I should be getting Internet back soon and I will add more pics. Too time consuming to photobucket from the phone

Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Well---- Been waiting for my rubber mounts. Supposed to be delivered 18 days ago.
Just got them tonight due to some outstanding incompetence from USPS.
Heres my cardboard cutout for the midmount on the block. And also trying to use the stock location on the frame

Quick Reply: 1998 4bt Cummins Swap