2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 4bt Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4BT = Turbo

4B = naturally aspirated

Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, okay..

Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
OK_Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that the biggest gain from this motor is going to be how fast the torque comes on.

Not to mention the potential the engine holds for aftermarket performance gains. I am sure a nice exhaust and some turbo work can make it a mean little engine.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I think the biggest gain would be fuel economy. That's why I have been thinking about doing it to my ram.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by techningeer
3.9L? That's what I wanted to know. Wonder why one wouldn't put the big 5.9L in... But then again if you aren't doing much towing it should be awesome... Probably will have some great fuel mileage.
5.9 is really heavy... Its hard on the thinner 1/2 frame, I would have to change axles, 2500 front end, and it wouldnt be as fun
Ahh 350 lbs.. Wow! moochoff let us know what your fuel mileage is! Also, is it a turbo?
Yep, turbocharged.. I havent been able to identify the turbo yet, but havent really looked it over yet. Ill be flipping it on the manifold this weekend. And my gearing/trans should be setup well. After getting it tuned to perfection- Im expecting 25 on the hwy (double the 360 lol)

biggest gain would be fuel economy. That's why I have been thinking about doing it to my ram.
the mpg is almost double... I would have been out 2k for my 360 to be replaced. Ill probably have 4.5-5k in her when Im all the way done. My girlfriend puts on a TON of hwy miles for work. So hoping to see my money back and savings in a couple years...

The peak torque is about the same when the 4bt is tuned well. except at half the rpm

Last edited by Moochoff; 10-19-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Ill be using the stock block mounts that came with my P30 rubber mounts. And I welded up some receiving mounts out of a couple square feet of 3/8" steel. All done with 'em
Tonight I found out my oil pressure sensor will thread right in, my power steering hoses also swapped right over, and I will be using my stock radiator/trans cooler... And I replaced the stock gas regulator with a cheap black plastic plug, and a rubber grommet that is pinching the line tight on the top of the tank. Also hooked up my gauges - EGT, Fuel Pressure, Trans temp (pan)

Fixed the brake line I accidentally torched lol, plugged the old oil filler on the side of the block. Added a block heater from genos garage in a freeze plug on the exhaust side. Ill be painting the valve covers in the morning along with adding fluids to everything

And... Some pics
Name:  photo-52.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  132.5 KB
Name:  photo-51.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  142.2 KB
Name:  photo-53.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  97.7 KB
Name:  photo-47.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  124.2 KB
Name:  photo-48.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  66.7 KB

Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by Moochoff
5.9 is really heavy... Its hard on the thinner 1/2 frame, I would have to change axles, 2500 front end, and it wouldnt be as fun

Yep, turbocharged.. I havent been able to identify the turbo yet, but havent really looked it over yet. Ill be flipping it on the manifold this weekend. And my gearing/trans should be setup well. After getting it tuned to perfection- Im expecting 25 on the hwy (double the 360 lol)

the mpg is almost double... I would have been out 2k for my 360 to be replaced. Ill probably have 4.5-5k in her when Im all the way done. My girlfriend puts on a TON of hwy miles for work. So hoping to see my money back and savings in a couple years...

The peak torque is about the same when the 4bt is tuned well. except at half the rpm
Moochoff, not to challenge you, but your 360 must have been in pretty poor shape, cause I used to get 20 MPG highway in O/D on the 360 I am working on, that is until I got the wrong injectors LOL. I dunno how much it will get now, that I have a new PCM and gonna get a stick in it.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Moochoff, not to challenge you, but your 360 must have been in pretty poor shape, cause I used to get 20 MPG highway in O/D on the 360 I am working on, that is until I got the wrong injectors LOL. I dunno how much it will get now, that I have a new PCM and gonna get a stick in it.
No problem man, I was having oil pressure issues so i was having to run 20w-50 to keep some pressure on the hwy. I also had a terrible plenum leak along with 167k really hard miles and no maintenance. Also had a failing fuel pump/regulator... So mileage was down right horrible

Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

What a frustrating day it was....

After flipping my manifold for the turbo, it's not going to clear the firewall/hood
So bustin the bolt off in the head, and drilling for the Probe on the bottom was a huge waste of time.... It all could have stayed on..........

Mounted the motor on the rubbers, lined it up to receive the trans (sanded down the pilot hubs down for the tc/flex plate and filled the tc halfway up)

I also have my oil pressure/coolant temp spots picked out for readings...
Here she sits
Name:  photo-57.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  photo-58.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  148.2 KB

Quick Reply: 1998 4bt Cummins Swap