2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Prototype
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Apparently, the cupholder light is controlled by the headlight switch...... it comes on with the park lamps....
I want to know more about this light. Mine has never worked and I don't know why. I've tried changing the bulb, but that didn't do anything because there isn't any power. Although, now that I now it should be headlight switch controlled, I'll turn them on and check again.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to check mine. I don't think I have ever opened it at night.

I wonder if some people remove the bulb so they can leave it open at night without that light bothering them.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Tigerballs, looking good man. Whereabouts do you live? Hurricane is due to hit here tomorrow too.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Apparently, the cupholder light is controlled by the headlight switch...... it comes on with the park lamps....
Not on mine...
Originally Posted by tigersax
that is odd...so the light stayed on even when the holder was closed. I going to be finished up this weekend on it hopefully thanks for the reply on that it will help me to get the lights ran i will experiment with it later
Yup...
Originally Posted by Prototype
I want to know more about this light. Mine has never worked and I don't know why. I've tried changing the bulb, but that didn't do anything because there isn't any power. Although, now that I now it should be headlight switch controlled, I'll turn them on and check again.
IDK why it doesn't have power.

Lemme tell you guys what mine has got...2 lights, one ash tray, one cupholder. BOTH should come on when the key is turned to ACC. At least on mine. There are no sensors for the light in the cup holder and I have not burned my bulb out yet. I didn't replace the one for the ash tray as I didn't feel like trying to contort my hand to get it in there, besides, I don't use it much anyway.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 PM
tigersax
Amateur

Ok it is finished and mounted check the pics out and let me know what you think i didn't get a shot at night with the leds but will this weekend. The light by the way comes on with my parking lights and i have one in the ashtray too. Everything works good just need to find inserts for the cup holes to give it that extra finishing touch

Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tigersax
Ok it is finished and mounted check the pics out and let me know what you think i didn't get a shot at night with the leds but will this weekend. The light by the way comes on with my parking lights and i have one in the ashtray too. Everything works good just need to find inserts for the cup holes to give it that extra finishing touch
I'd round over the edges to soften it and paint it to match the dash or at least black.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
tigersax
Amateur

thanks I don't think the pictures show it very well but I did round all my corners on the front as for color I went with wood stain just to see how it would look I already had it so i have it mounted to where it's easy to take out so if i ever do decide to change the color it won't be that bad. I will get pics of the led's tonight and closer up to see the trim and rounded edges

Old 09-01-2012, 01:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work!

My old eyes have a hard time telling, but I think I can see end grain/ply's in the vertical wood pieces, have a look at this nice to work with, give's that finished look, can be stained to match. I use a old iron to activate the glue backing.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...8&site=ROCKLER

Old 09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
tigersax
Amateur

the picture does look like it is showing the end grain i have trim work that i cut the angle to fit the round I wish i would have said something sooner about that cause i love the link that would have been a lot easier than cutting that thin trim to fit it. I am Packing up to leave for offshore training monday so i have not had time to get better pictures of it but hope to tomorrow to show. I used industrial velcro to secure it to the wood mount i have in place where the old cup holder screwed in and it doesn't move the point was to have it to where i could take it out and build something better next time this was a first and just wanted cup holder LOL....Thank you for the comments and ideas for the next one i have learned a lot from this site all of you guys are great.

Last edited by tigersax; 09-04-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: missed somthing

Quick Reply: Custom Cup Holder