2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge Ram Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
RacerX0736
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Ram Upgrade Questions

Somewhat new to this site where this is my first post. I have a good background with cars but would like some advice or anyone who has had experience already so I can look at different perspectives. I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9. I'm currently fixing the truck and restoring it at my family shop. It was hit in an accident from some stupid lady who ran a light and whammm. Anyways here is a list of what I already have.

Mods
Cold Air Intake
M1 2bb/4bbl Intake
Pace Setter Long Tubes
High Flow Cat
Cherry Bomb Extreme
Cut Off Valves
High Flow Holley 2bbl Throttle Body
Msd Coil, Performance Wires, Cap Rotor
4.10 Gear Posi

Heres what I would Like to buy:

Camshaft
Rockers and what I need with these
SCT Tuner
Eventually Some Aluminum Heads
Eventually Super Charger

If anyone could give me some opinions on what they would do or some advice on what would be the best product to buy that would be helpful. I have some ideas already but I'm seeing what else is out there before I go an buy anything else.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will move your post to the 2nd Gen Ram section.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 AM
RacerX0736

Thank You I was just about to do that when I reopened this thread when I seen your Comment.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

What is your end goal for your truck? Where do you want it to build the most power? Two, or four wheel drive?

SCT tuner from Hemifever is always a good plan.

Cam and rockers depends on what you plan to do with your truck. If you are going to go with forced induction, cam choice becomes rather important.....

Forced induction isn't gonna be cheap by any stretch of the imagination...... as you will also need to address fuel and ignition with that as well.... Standalone management system will be pretty much a requirement.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
RacerX0736

Right now I'm looking to build the engine as much as I can with out having to stroke or bore the motor that's one key factor. I do plan on having Ram air for now until I purchase a supercharger. The Super Charger will come later on down the road. My truck is a 2WD truck. I would like to improve low end and mid range power. I'm hoping to do this with a Cam. Just would like some advice or anyone's past experience with this. I plan to improve the igngition system right off the bat also. If i can get some ideas for with an without the supercharger upgrade.

Thank You

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Ram Upgrade Questions