2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please! - stranded - wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Where is the click coming from? Starter? If that's the case, then its going to be either the battery, or the starter itself.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

Roadside guy came, Load test on battery was fine, he tried to boost it and it made no difference.

He then smacked the crap out of the starter with a wrench while having me try to crank it......and she fired right up....(wtf?)

He told me to either leave it running or get it to a mechanic now, because if I shut it off it would probably not start again.

$200 bucks for a new starter plus an hour of labour so $300 Im handy enough to replace a starter myself, but I just have no time, got a 6 month old at home.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips guys, much apreciated.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

lol. that kind of sucks but is funny. i would have never guessed the starter was bad by hearing it click.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it was solved. I'm with Wolfie...surprised at the result of it being a bad starter. Of all the Dodges...even old ones, I've never had to replace a starter. LOL.

Where are you located? Maybe a member near you can help out? If you're close enough, I'll offer to help, and I'll even bring a replacement starter I have and never needed.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by Sooper
Glad it was solved. I'm with Wolfie...surprised at the result of it being a bad starter. Of all the Dodges...even old ones, I've never had to replace a starter. LOL.

Where are you located? Maybe a member near you can help out? If you're close enough, I'll offer to help, and I'll even bring a replacement starter I have and never needed.
Thanks very much for the offer, but I havn't seen many members up near me =( Im up in Americas hat (Canada), Edmonton Alberta to be exact.

Beats me, haha, He smacked it a few times from below the truck, then above from the engine bay and after about 20 or so good thunks it cranked and started....I have no idea how smacking it with a wrench can help, but I guess he knew what he was doing!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

The solenoid and other components can get jammed in the starter. Hitting it fixes that... until they seize again. Or so I've been told.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
The solenoid and other components can get jammed in the starter. Hitting it fixes that... until they seize again. Or so I've been told.

The starter 'whack' is actually a very good way to not only test for a bad starter but a way to get the engine started in emergencies. I've done it often, but usually to Fords and GMs.

Again, never something I've had to do to a Mopar starter.

As mentioned, it won't work every time. Eventually the starter will fail completely and the 'whack' is a waste of a dirty back.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have 2 or 3 options.

you can replace the entire starter for $100-150 for parts. if the old one unbolts without difficulty, you can swap it in an hour or less. if the bolts on the old one are stubborn, it can be difficult and require some long 1/2 inch drive extensions to break it loose.

or you can try to take it apart and clean it and rebuild it yourself for a lot less money. here's a couple of examples of rebuild kits. i guess they don't have brushes and bushings any more??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-SOLE...219d26&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/428000-240-S...a5f3ca&vxp=mtr

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For future reference: The described symptoms are the indication of the most common failure mode of the Denso starter as is used in our rigs, and replacing the solenoid plunger and contacts is the correct fix for it. The rest of the unit will likely outlive your truck unless you install it incorrectly and stress on the gear (from hanging at an angle) wipes out the bushing in the nose.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by RageGuy
Thanks very much for the offer, but I havn't seen many members up near me =( Im up in Americas hat (Canada), Edmonton Alberta to be exact.

Beats me, haha, He smacked it a few times from below the truck, then above from the engine bay and after about 20 or so good thunks it cranked and started....I have no idea how smacking it with a wrench can help, but I guess he knew what he was doing!
There are quite a few members here in Canada........

Quick Reply: Help please! - stranded - wont start