2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help please! - stranded - wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! - stranded - wont start

She wont turn over.

Turn key, all electronics are on so its getting power, Battery has good charge, Turn to start and *CLICK*

No CEL

This morning when I left for work it did this a few times, I attempted to crank it 3-4 times, CLICK CLICK CLICK, on 5th attempt she fired up no problem...Thought maybe a wire got wet somewhere..it did rain last night.

I Stopped for gas, and now its doing the same thing, only now I can crank till the cows come home and all I get is clicks.

I Disconnected the coil wire, Cranked again, Still clicks.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said battery has a good charge but they can show 12V but not have the strength to turn the starter. Your symptoms have happened to me a few times and it was always the battery. Cells within the battery can fail, lowering the overall capacity even though the battery shows 12V and supports minimal electronics such as the computer and lights and gauges and such.

My take is the battery needs to be load tested and probably replaced.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by Sooper
I know you said battery has a good charge but they can show 12V but not have the strength to turn the starter. Your symptoms have happened to me a few times and it was always the battery. Cells within the battery can fail, lowering the overall capacity even though the battery shows 12V and supports minimal electronics such as the computer and lights and gauges and such.

My take is the battery needs to be load tested and probably replaced.
That will really grind my gears if its the bat, cause its only a year old.

This morning when it finally did crank, it cranked strong, like it always has, it wasnt weak or anything...even so, could it still be the Bat?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Starter probably died. Check the power to it and the connection at the battery.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

could also be a bad connection that is preventing the starter from getting the power it needs.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Swap starter relay with horn relay, try again.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou

This is a good suggestion because it's free. Having a battery load tested is free too unless you want to guy buy your own load tester like I love having in my garage.

Focus on tests and things you can do to narrow down the problem without spending money or throwing parts at it.

Honestly, 90% of starting problems I have had in my life were either battery or battery leads. Very rare have I had to deal with a bad starter on these full size Dodge trucks and SUVs. Same for relays. They're remarkably durable.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think I have deduced it down to bieng the battery.

I removed the starter relay, and for ****s an giggles tried to crank it. Ofcourse it didnt, but there was no *CLICK* sound also.

With the relay back in the CLICK sound comes back when attempting to crank.

I also tried my trailer relay in the slot for the starter relay, CLICK confirmed.

So one would assume the starter is fine then yes? as there is a distinct difference with the relay in/out. It shows it IS getting power..just not enough..

Am I making any sence?

I called my roadside assistance to come out and test my bat.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by RageGuy
I called my roadside assistance to come out and test my bat.

Be VERY specific that you don't need the voltage tested. It needs to be LOAD tested...meaning, a false load needs to be placed on the battery to see if it falls flat on it's face or if it stays strong.

Here's what I use in my garage.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_9200014-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-9200014&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=9200014&ci_gpa=pla& ci_kw={keyword}#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&u tm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=9200014

Remember, even a battery with diminished load capacity can still show 12V+ and may mislead someone into assuming the battery is still fine.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by Sooper
Be VERY specific that you don't need the voltage tested. It needs to be LOAD tested...meaning, a false load needs to be placed on the battery to see if it falls flat on it's face or if it stays strong.

Here's what I use in my garage.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_9200014-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-9200014&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=9200014&ci_gpa=pla& ci_kw={keyword}#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&u tm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=9200014

Remember, even a battery with diminished load capacity can still show 12V+ and may mislead someone into assuming the battery is still fine.
Gotcha, Thank you.

Quick Reply: Help please! - stranded - wont start