2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spohn Adjustable Track Bar and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM
LordLuciendar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spohn Adjustable Track Bar and Shocks

Truck: 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L 4WD Long Bed

I replaced my track bar with a Moog bar a little over a year, and only about 6000 miles ago. It's gone, again. I do live on the bumpiest road in the world, but even then 6000 miles is a bit ridiculous. Most of the front end in the truck is new at the same time as the track bar:
  • Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Both Sides
  • Both Drag Links and Tie Rod Ends
  • Power Steering Box (Reman )
  • Power Steering Lines
  • Both Calipers
  • Break Lines
  • Passenger Side Hub
  • Driver Side Hub was done about 3 months and less than 1000 miles earlier.
The truck rides like crap and the steering has started to wander again. I brought it to a local shop for inspection and they told me it needs a track bar, muffler (the sudden increase in noise made this one fairly obvious), and the rear shocks are dead. For the moment, I'd like to tackle those issues so I can get a sticker. Money is tight, I'm about 3 weeks from my wedding.

So, enough boring backstory. Has anyone used the Spohn Adjustable Track Bar? It seems quite solid, it uses a bushing to mount to the frame like the BD Diesel bar, not a ball joint, but also includes a bracket which drops and moves the mounting point forward so the bar can be straight, without needing to bend around the diff.

I am sure that there might be more wrong with the front end. Front shocks and steering stabilizer come to mind, but since they're not needed for inspection, I'll wait on them. The question is, should I just swap another Moog bar in and chase those problems when I have the money. The truck does not get driven much (<4k mi/year).

As for the rear shocks, are they really that easy? From what I understand, I don't even need to jack the truck up, just two bolts to remove and two bolts to install. I've decided on Skyjacker Hydro 5000, and I will eventually do the front and the steering stabilizer with the same. I can snag them for $37.30 ea. When I eventually do the front, I will most likely slide in a 2in leveling kit while I am at it, will I need to worry about different shocks to accomidate this?

For the muffler I think I am going to throw in a Magnaflow XL3 stainless which I can grab for about $50, it's a bit smaller, but I'll let the shop fit it, they have the pipe on hand to make an extension, etc.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont have the the Spohn track bar...yet. Once this one gives up Im going to get it.

For the shocks, the rear is just 4 bolts, 2 on each. And no, it does not need to be lifted.

Front, I have a 2" level and am running stock length shocks without a problem.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pick any other shock over the Skyjacker shocks, they ride hard and don't last very long. Waste of $

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM
LordLuciendar
Rookie

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Pick any other shock over the Skyjacker shocks, they ride hard and don't last very long. Waste of $
I'd rather go with Rancho, but whenever it becomes financially viable I want to swap this truck for a dually Cummins, and the Rancho shocks are more expensive. The Skyjackers come with a lifetime warranty and are cheap, plus remember I don't drive more than 4000 miles a year. Still think I should go with another brand?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion

"I do live on the bumpiest road in the world"

Think its ruff know just wait, I would go buy a no name shock over those Skyjacker shocks anything is better ride wise, they can have all the warranty you want that won't make them ride any better. My Skyjacker shocks were fine nothing wrong with them, they just made the ride hard very hard.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Lone136
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5100 Series Shock Absorbers Bilstein is the way to go if you can aford them. These are the ones I installed on my lifted Ram and to this day I love them. Also worked great when I have my Fish snow plow on the truck

Old 09-08-2012, 12:55 PM
gipperkid
Veteran

Originally Posted by Lone136
5100 Series Shock Absorbers Bilstein is the way to go if you can aford them. These are the ones I installed on my lifted Ram and to this day I love them. Also worked great when I have my Fish snow plow on the truck
I second that. I have the Bilstein 5100s on my lifted Dodge and on my Tundra. Would not have it any other way.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
merc225hp
Champion

The 5100's are what I replaced the Skyjacker shocks with, but I am not ready to rate/praise them just yet, to soon. They are a vast improvement over the Skyjacker shocks though.

Edit: Buy good shocks now for a 2500/3500 and use them in the 1500 until you get that 3500. Then swap them over to the 3500.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 AM
LordLuciendar
Rookie

The truck is a 2500. Whatever I put in the truck is going to stay in it when I sell it.

The 5100 Series Bilsteins are twice as expensive as the Skyjackers, more money than I want to spend.

In my budget I have these options:
Gabriel Guardian
Gabriel Pro Guard
Gabriel Ultra
AC Delco Advantage
SuperLift SuperRide
KYB Excel-G
Skyjacker Hydro 7000
Monroe Monro-Matic Plus
Daystar Scorpion
Pro Comp ES3000
Pro Comp ES9000

Thoughts? I'm not set on the Skyjackers. If I do go with a more expensive shock, it'll likely be a Rancho RS5000. As for the 3500, when I do get it, I plan to rebuild the truck and I will be using Rancho RS9000XLs on it, but that is likely a few years away.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the Monroe's. Lots of ppl here have had good things to say about them.

Quick Reply: Spohn Adjustable Track Bar and Shocks