2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
if I have a grip on what you're saying, flash stall isn't the same as true stall, (where the engine starts relying on its own power) bit instead where it has something like an RPM increasing 'free spin' until it reacts.. no?
Pretty much, yeah. Suppose you've got your engine sitting there idling and the transmission in gear, but your foot on the brake. The impeller is going round and round but the turbine's stationary. Then you mash the throttle to the floor, and your electronic tachometer shoots up and then very quickly settles back down a tad. The flash stall is that overshoot. It happens because it takes time for all of the fluid between the impeller and the turbine to start flowing. The easy way to visualize it is to think of stirring a pot of spaghetti sauce: When you first start all you're doing is pushing around that small volume of sauce ahead of the spoon, but if you keep at it the entire volume of sauce will spin. If you float your pot of sauce in the kitchen sink and do it again, there's a brief span when you're moving the spoon around but the pot isn't turning yet. A short time later the pot begins to turn, and later you're stirring a whole sink full of water. Flash stall is that first bit before the pot begins to turn.

Oh, and the third stall: holds it, but doesn't move it.. like on a hill stationary, giving enough throttle that it doesn't roll backwards..
Again, pretty much. The turbine is offering so much resistance that the engine cannot drive the impeller any faster than X. X is true stall.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect... Thank you, sir... I understand it now, and hope others benefit too.. I've never had it explained thoroughly in one place before.. just parts and pieces here and there...

Mods: frame this one (unregs response, that is) in the faq section!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perfect... Thank you, sir...
You're welcome!

I realize now that I should have pointed out that flash stall happens when the impeller is making lots more turbulence than more linear fluid flow -- if'n yer into physics, a lot of the initial energy goes into the eddy currents.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So precision seems to be the popular converter.

Quick Reply: torque converter