2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another dead ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
THePaRaSiTE5771
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insert the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on and off quickly in this sequence: on, off, on, off, on. Don't crank the truck. If you crank the engine by mistake, begin the sequence again as the process will be aborted.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THePaRaSiTE5771
Insert the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on and off quickly in this sequence: on, off, on, off, on. Don't crank the truck. If you crank the engine by mistake, begin the sequence again as the process will be aborted.
Yeah that works, but don't forget the dried chicken foot.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by THePaRaSiTE5771
That works with OBDII?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That works with OBDII?

Yes, except for 98's for some reason.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:32 PM
bunker
Professional
Default tricking the computer

Let me ask all you Dodge gurus

back in the day if a sensor went bad all we did was put a resister of the ohms needed was put in the female part of the wire,and it fooled the computer to thinking the sensor was ok i did this to 100s of vechicls that the costumor could not aford the part. all sensors do is send a electrical signal to the computer. so why cant we do that to these sensors on modern trucks? there is videos on yt about how to test a sendor so if we can test it why cant we fool the computer? by putting the correct ohms resistor in the connecter.its all electric right.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some sensors return an analog signal varying form 0 to 5 v. A resistor would give a fixed voltage...therefore the computer would make other things work/not work based on that signal. Not a good way to do it at all. Sensors on these rigs are cheaper than my other vehicles. Seems like bad medicine to me.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM
bunker
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Some sensors return an analog signal varying form 0 to 5 v. A resistor would give a fixed voltage...therefore the computer would make other things work/not work based on that signal. Not a good way to do it at all. Sensors on these rigs are cheaper than my other vehicles. Seems like bad medicine to me.
I see what your saying, damn gota be a cheaper way to do things when you cant aford the correct part. hm maybe that was the auto makers plan.

the search goes on

Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM
bunker
Professional
Default Dealership DA`s

Well after trying all the online tips to do a self OBD with the key, even the old chicken foot hanging from the turn sig arm,I decided to call a couple dealerships. and both never heard of a 1999 that has built in OBD. well isnt that special.but there happy to have me spend 100 bucks to have it towed in and 98 bucks just to hook it up to there code reader, hell yea 200 bucks and not even fixed yet. gota love it.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
Well after trying all the online tips to do a self OBD with the key, even the old chicken foot hanging from the turn sig arm,I decided to call a couple dealerships. and both never heard of a 1999 that has built in OBD. well isnt that special.but there happy to have me spend 100 bucks to have it towed in and 98 bucks just to hook it up to there code reader, hell yea 200 bucks and not even fixed yet. gota love it.

The dealers you called are morons, but yes some EARLY 99's will also not work using the key trick. You simply need a code reader.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Hold the odometer reset button with the key in the off position.

Turn the key forward to the position directly before the position in which you would turn over the motor.

Immediately turn the key back to the off position.

Turn it to the on position again, then to the off position,

turn it to the on position again, then to the off position,

and finally turn the key to that same on position for the last time.

Now release the odometer reset button after you left the ignition switch in the on position and the magical OBD2 code display will occur.

The trick for my 1999 Ram is to hold the Odometer Reset button while turning the key to the on and off positions three times, then on the fourth turn to the on position you leave the switch on and finally release the odometer reset button.

This sequence causes the truck to run a diagnostic check on the electrical systems and will help you identify what is going on. How to understand the codes, however, is something I am not aware of.

O'reilley Auto parts rents code readers to the general public. If there is an O'reilley in the area, that's where I would go before handing $200 to the dealer. Either that, or find a local high school or college with an automotive department and try and get close to one of the teachers for some help. Sometimes they allow for vehicles to be donated temporarily for work to be performed.

Best of luck...

Last edited by Slomojo; 10-17-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: another dead ram