2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lacking Power under load

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
nwracer45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lacking Power under load

I have a 2001 quad cab 4x4 with a 5.9 which I have owned since about 2002. The basic problem is that I have no power starting out or going up hills while towing. This started about a year ago when I was towing a car home and going up a steep hill by my house. Once the truck down shifted (auto tranny) it basically became sluggish and I barely made it up. I did have an error code stating a large exhaust leak. So over this summer I replace the entire exhaust system up to the Y pipe. This helped out but it stilled lacked the power I have been use to. Anyways last weekend I was stopped on a very steep hill and the truck would not move even after I floored it. I had to back down and get a running start. Otherwise the truck runs and drives fine, shifts normal and I even towed a boat around (just not up too steep of hills). I just won't go under heavy loading. I hope this is enough information.

Any ideas?

I have no warning lights on. Just checked the fuel pressure and it is at 48. I don't hear any vacuum leaks (I really don't know how to test for this.

Could it be the TPS or idle air control valve(motor)

Thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Read the plenum thread. Sounds like yours is blown along with a clogged catalytic converter....

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Prepare to get dirty. I'm holding my breath for mine to blow....

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
nwracer45

Thanks. I was just reading that thread. I did look down the throttle body (without the mirror) and there does appear to be oiling just below the the throttle plates. Does a bad plenum really cause that much of loss power under load? I guess I can't wrap my head around that. Anyways the cat has less than 200 miles on it along with the rest of the exhaust.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
stewie01
Legend

A blown plenum is a huge vacuum leak. Oil is sucked out of the motor into the intake. And the oil doesn't burn well in the cylinders so it fouls out spark plugs, most commonly #8, clogs the catalytic converter (huge exhaust restriction that KILLS power as well as motors if not dealt with soon enough, it leads to cracked heads), and kills O2 sensors.

Since the cat is fairly new it may be ok, but it won't stay that way for long. I recently cut mine out, and while both ends and the material inside looked perfectly fine it was clogged as could be, could't see down one end to the other...

Edit:

I did forget to ask, what size tires are you running? Unless you have an ORE or have done gear work I'd say you have 3.55 gears.

Last edited by stewie01; 10-07-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM
nwracer45

They are stock size...265/75/16.....If it is sucking oil into the intake wouldn't be blowing blue exhaust out the pipes? I am not questioning you but I don't want to throw cash at the wrong problem. I don't have a lot to spare lol. I know dodges (like other brands) have their common issues and it sounds like this is one. At what milage does this usually occure? Also if a autoshop did the fix does anyone know how much it would cost? For an average DIY'r how long does this repair usually take?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by nwracer45
They are stock size...265/75/16.....If it is sucking oil into the intake wouldn't be blowing blue exhaust out the pipes? I am not questioning you but I don't want to throw cash at the wrong problem. I don't have a lot to spare lol. I know dodges (like other brands) have their common issues and it sounds like this is one. At what milage does this usually occure? Also if a autoshop did the fix does anyone know how much it would cost? For an average DIY'r how long does this repair usually take?
Have a look through this thread; https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-post-up.html Pictures of actual blown plenum gaskets

I don't know of any blown plenum that did blow blue smoke.... I know mine didn't.

Also, in some cases the plenum is actually intact but the PCV Valve has failed which lets the oil into the intake, sometimes both go bad. PCV Valve is cheap, even at the dealer and probably takes all of 3 minutes to replace.

As to what mileage it happens is anyone's guess. The plate has a gasket and that is normally the weak spot. And from what I've gathered here the stock plenum plate bolts are a little too long for the threads, so it doesn't clamp down properly.

If you buy the plate, there is the Hughes plate, http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=27091, which a few extra goodies. A member here also makes them and sells them on eBay, they are a good $50 cheaper I think, don't hold me to that.

If a shop does it you can look at probably 5-8hrs labor, depending on how fast he feels like working.

As a DIY, a Saturday, maybe some Sunday too.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
nwracer45

Great, thanks for all the information Stewie....I am going to call Hughs this morning and get one ordered.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Once you've done that and took care of runability issues.. adjust the TV Cable; will make a load of difference.
http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Dodg...Adjustment.pdf

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM
nwracer45

Thanks Jon, I may do that.

I bought the kit from Hughes yesterday for a two day delivery and started the removal last night. I figure two nights to remove and two nights to install. Will see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Lacking Power under load