2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wobble while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM
DJeXeCute
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble while driving

So the other I met up with a few of my buddies at a friends house. Well I was the last one to the house and the driveway was full so I popped the curb and parked it in the front yard next to my buddies jeep. Later that day when I left I noticed it wobble a bit when I was braking for a light but then it didn't happen again from what I could tell. Well last night I hopped on the highway to visit my uncle and at about 55mph it started to vibrate 60 it was a definite wobble but stayed straight with no problems. When I got back home I climbed under gave it a quick look in the front end and even tried to wiggle everything and it all seems tight so I'm not sure. Everything on the truck is the original 14 year old part even the right rear since I had to put the factory spare one awhile back when I got alittle carried away with a burnout. Its at 41,449miles. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

sounds kind of like a wheel imbalance, start with checking tire pressure and look for any unusual wear pattern on tire tread. usually when I start feeling what you described I jack up the front end and start wiggle testing wheels check out components such as wheel hubs, and balljoints and then I move on to checking tie rods for play.

If it tends to wobble consistently under braking it could be time to change out front rotors and pads.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJeXeCute
So the other I met up with a few of my buddies at a friends house. Well I was the last one to the house and the driveway was full so I popped the curb and parked it in the front yard next to my buddies jeep. Later that day when I left I noticed it wobble a bit when I was braking for a light but then it didn't happen again from what I could tell. Well last night I hopped on the highway to visit my uncle and at about 55mph it started to vibrate 60 it was a definite wobble but stayed straight with no problems. When I got back home I climbed under gave it a quick look in the front end and even tried to wiggle everything and it all seems tight so I'm not sure. Everything on the truck is the original 14 year old part even the right rear since I had to put the factory spare one awhile back when I got alittle carried away with a burnout. Its at 41,449miles. Any help would be much appreciated.
If I understand what you mean "even the right rear", your referring to the rr tire? And you put the spare one on? And if it's on there now that should mean you're driving around with one tire that's different in size from the other three..besides that check your u-joints for play as well..less than 42k on a 98', lucky you! let us know the results..

Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the tire, that old and popping a curb you most likely broke the belts in the tire.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

Tires look fine and never had a problem running the spare. Hell ive got her up to 110 on the highway for a brief period in time on this set up. But yea I'll wiggle test everything again and the have the tires looked at. I'm getting a new set of bfgoodridge a/ts soon so if its the tires then im happy lol

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

I cleaned all the mudd off and checked everything under there real good jacked it up and did the wiggle test and everything seems tight. Hopped on the highway and took it up to 80 before i backed off wobbled increasingly worse from 55 to 80

Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

I know it was already mentioned but the axle shaft u joint would be a good thing to check out, I had a ZJ Grand Cherokee that had a bad axle shaft ujoint that caused the same symptom.

when you wiggle tested did you just examine the balljoints and wheel hub or did you check out any play in your tie rod ends as well?

The broken belt in tire idea is a valid point....try moving the wheel to a different axle and see if the wobble goes to a different part of the truck (Example-if wobble is coming from front right, move that wheel to rear left)....if the wobble moves with the tire you have a tire imbalance or broken belt.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a bent wheel also.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Countryboy_4_life
Rookie

could very well be....either way...swap that wheel with another one on the truck and see if the wobble moves on you.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM
DJeXeCute
Rookie

Well It's only rear wheel drive and it feals like its coming from the front so Ill swap the tires around and see If I can't pinpoint it. I'm hoping it's nothing major I just got fired...

Quick Reply: Wobble while driving