2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why am I eating O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Swamprunner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I eating O2 sensors?

Last month, my '96 318 began acting up after I bought gas from some hairball filling station. The truck started running rough, and I thought a little gas dryer would help. After I mentioned this to wife, she said her Honda smelled funny after filling up at said station. The gas dryer helped, but it threw the code P0132, "O2 sensor voltage high", and it was the upstream sensor that I replaced last summer. Ideas anyone?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked your plenum?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

X2 ^^^^

Also what brand o2 did you install

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Swamprunner
Amateur

Thanks for replying! I did the plenum fix last June, and I have removed the throttle body and checked the plenum last month after pulling the car hauler across the country three times for my move to Minnesota from Tennessee. When I replaced the O2 sensor at the beginning of June, I bought a Denso from Rock Auto. Went right in, and plugged right up. I will re-check the plenum this weekend just for grins. I was wondering if the bad fuel or the dryer (methanol) may have messed it around?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad fuel can do it. Maybe run some into a can or something and look to see if it hasn water or crap in it.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 PM
konspiracy
Amateur

In these shady gas stations, they have been known to run the pumps when they have small leaks. What can happen is fuel starts filling up the sand or peat gravel around the fiber glass pipes and it creates a vaccum that sucks the fuel from the ground into the hose, threw the pump and into your vehicle.

Also we have these deals called diapers, they are a pad that only sucks up fuel and not water. What happens alot is the fill up tanker has one shoved into the filler nozzle after he fills a tank and needs it to stop leaking. Then he fills up his truck and goes to the next station where he forgets about it and hooks up to the next station. He shoots the diaper into the gas tank and the gas pump motor sucks the diaper into shreds and into your vehicle.

So yes you could have multiple things in your tank.

Food for thought

Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
40intrepid
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konspiracy
In these shady gas stations, they have been known to run the pumps when they have small leaks. What can happen is fuel starts filling up the sand or peat gravel around the fiber glass pipes and it creates a vaccum that sucks the fuel from the ground into the hose, threw the pump and into your vehicle.

Also we have these deals called diapers, they are a pad that only sucks up fuel and not water. What happens alot is the fill up tanker has one shoved into the filler nozzle after he fills a tank and needs it to stop leaking. Then he fills up his truck and goes to the next station where he forgets about it and hooks up to the next station. He shoots the diaper into the gas tank and the gas pump motor sucks the diaper into shreds and into your vehicle.

So yes you could have multiple things in your tank.

Food for thought
But dont the gas pumps have filters on them that look like oil filters?
At least they do in michigan, how is it possible for something like a shredded diaper to get into the customers gas tank?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Water is the most common contaminant. There was a station here in my area that was reported to TX Dep of Ag for bad gas. They came out sna pulled samlple in glass container. It was very obvious that solution was about 90% water. Station Closed ....

Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Swamprunner
Amateur

Also, what crossed my mind was that we are in ethanol heaven here in the prairie. I am suspecting that the fuel was spiked with too much alcohol. Whatever it was, it killed my O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: Why am I eating O2 sensors?