2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram 2500 ABS&Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Chiriqui
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 Ram 2500 ABS&Brake Light Issue

This is my 3rd attempt at getting this message posted today. I don't know what the deal is but here goes one last attempt at this

Three almost four weeks ago I had new brake pads installed on my 01 Dodge Ram 2500. It's one I purchased 11 months ago in Minnesota and shipped to Panama.

There use to be a Dodge Dealer of sorts here but I think it was the auto slump that killed it here. In other words I don't have a service shop to run to.

First time down to 4,000 ft to sea level from where I live I smelled the brakes and on steep inclines the brake petal throbbed, which I guess was the ABS kicking in?

I did some 100 mile trips and could smell the brakes over the course of the next week to week and a half. The rims were hot. I switched to using the shift in and out of overdrive to brake. Eventually I was noticing the brake smell.

I went on a trip into Costa Rica which took me over mountain 2 lane hwys. The 2nd day the ABS and Brake light came on. On one occassion the rims were hot and one was hotter to the point I was concerned the tire might pop off. I made it back to Panama without incident.

Now a week back I have this recurring issue that appears to be increasing sensitivity which means the ABS and Brake Lights are coming on more frequently.

The Brake Disc's are maybe a max of 1mm ware on the front and 1/2 mm on the rear

?(1) I never gave it much thought but on a cold start after all the lights on the display dash have gone out the ABS and Brake light comes back on then after about 5 sec will go out. Is this the normal pattern?

?(2) How many ABS sensors are on the Ram I have. I know one is in the rear differencial. I changed that oil in both differencials, the rear did have some metal filings! Is this sensor maybe foulded and is it obvious how to pull it and check it?

?(3) There is no brake fluid leakage (period) Could the calipers be the problem? Can calipers be adjusted or somehow losened up if they have lost some functionality?

?(4) Could this be cause by warped discs and now with new brake shoes it's setting off the ABS and Brake light

Advice please

Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

bump. approved

Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur

Hum now there are two posts covering the same subject. Thanks for figuring out the problem at your end.

I've already received some feed back on one of the previous attempts to post this issue.

Should someone care to comment further on the issue here, well that's up to the moderator to decide

Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur

Hum..one of my previous posts which was getting replies has been removed.
I was advised that both front wheels have sensors and about the one in the rear differential. I was also advised that I probably had a stick front wheel caliber.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I answered this question in the general questions thread.
Now that thread is gone and you are back to 1 post, Weird things going on here.
anyway, I figure you have 4 wheel ABS since its an 01 with discs on the front and back.
With that said you will have 3 sensors, 1 on the diff and 1 on each front wheel hub.

It sounds like the brake calipers are hanging up on at least one wheel.
that is why there is a pulsation and ABS lights on the dash and a overheated wheel.

When changing brake pads the rotors should be turned down, the new pads wont fit a worn rotor, and/or they may be warped.

If you still have some metal in the rear diff a shaving could be on the sensor causing it to trip the ABS light, but based on the brake smell and overheated wheel I am leaning toward calipers and/or rotors

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur

thanks "again" for the feed back!
I'm working on getting your suggestions looked into.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Chiriqui
Amateur

Hum ... this is my now 2nd attempt to thank you for your input and for following up here on this separate post. I've been working on following up on your points. Looking for places to get the work done. Thanks

Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thought, i just did a 4 wheel brake job on my truck and found my slide pins where froze on 6 of the 8 pins, that could also be something to look at.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I have entered uncharted moderator territory. Sorry for messing this up so bad, but hey, at least now it is visible to other members and you are getting replies!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VEETEN
I answered this question in the general questions thread.
Now that thread is gone and you are back to 1 post, Weird things going on here.
anyway, I figure you have 4 wheel ABS since its an 01 with discs on the front and back.
With that said you will have 3 sensors, 1 on the diff and 1 on each front wheel hub.

It sounds like the brake calipers are hanging up on at least one wheel.
that is why there is a pulsation and ABS lights on the dash and a overheated wheel.

When changing brake pads the rotors should be turned down, the new pads wont fit a worn rotor, and/or they may be warped.

If you still have some metal in the rear diff a shaving could be on the sensor causing it to trip the ABS light, but based on the brake smell and overheated wheel I am leaning toward calipers and/or rotors
x2 except for one thing. I dont know about down in NC, but here in PA there are almost no shops left that will actually turn down a rotor. People always come into advance auto (where i work) and ask about turning their rotors and we have to recommend they buy new ones. Part of the reason shops stopped turning rotors is because companies have stopped making rotors as thick as they used to, making safety a concern for the shops that turn rotors. (PA is also a freakin safety **** when it comes to vehicle inspections, so this may be another reason) If one or both of your calipers did indeed hang up, this would have caused severe and uneven heating to the rotor which is the primary cause of warping.

Quick Reply: 01 Ram 2500 ABS&Brake Light Issue