2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case BUSTED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 PM
MILLS5DODGING
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check to be sure your linkage is adjusted right, if its not you could be running in four wheel peel when your lever is in 2wd, fluid level beening low or empty could have caused the chain to bust also, if your front end was locked in and driving on the highway you would have blown a axle shaft u joint by now. Im sure you will but id try another t-case make sure the fluid is clean and full make sure the linkage is adjusted right and tell the boy good luck could be just what dodge dude94 said also just happened you got to faulty t-cases. With the luck iv had with dodge t-cases the chains always fail on me. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Timothy Watrous
dude it was just a question... idk if u got a used one or not, thats y im asking...
They were rebuilt ones.. Didnt mean to come off as a dick.. I just dont see how it could be weakend by shifting while moving unless you got your foot to the floor while trying to put it in 4wd..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always got rolling, put the transmission into N, then shift into 4HI, then into drive again, cause by the time the tcase cracked it was shifting so hard and that made it easier....

Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can be stopped, rolling, accelerating, whatever and I can shift into 4Hi. 4Lo, stop, neutral, HARD shove into 4Lo, drop into drive, pop the gas and GO!

That's the way I do it, works great.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Fo sho homie

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

Originally Posted by dlyter09
They were rebuilt ones.. Didnt mean to come off as a dick.. I just dont see how it could be weakend by shifting while moving unless you got your foot to the floor while trying to put it in 4wd..
well heres a good question... where the tcase or tail peice of the tranny broke. did it look like it broke from twisting or prying ( meaning presure up and down). cus if shifting in to 4 hi on the go was the cause then it would look like it was form twisting, i would think...

the other thery to test would be ...whats your rear drive shaft angle

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by Timothy Watrous
well heres a good question... where the tcase or tail peice of the tranny broke. did it look like it broke from twisting or prying ( meaning presure up and down). cus if shifting in to 4 hi on the go was the cause then it would look like it was form twisting, i would think...

the other thery to test would be ...whats your rear drive shaft angle
It looks like a twisting break...

[IMG][/IMG]

This was a freshly rebuilt case. No front driveshaft in it due to incorrect gears up front. No 4wd engagement either.. Everything suspension wise is stock so the rear shaft angle is factory spec.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

this was your 4th tcase? that took of the tail of your tranny?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Yea.. The others never really failed except for cracking and I caught them in time before anything major came of it..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM
MILLS5DODGING

Well that looks like it twisted, i had one break off my 46re right before i went nv3500 stick and mine was a tug, and a little alcohol abuse doing break stands with detroit locker and 35" mud tires and i lost the u joint and threw out the rear drive shaft, drunk and couldnt get the drive shaft out of the t-case so i hooked chain to driveshaft and to a telephone pole and gave it a tug in 4x4 and driveshaft came out threw it in the back and drove home. the next day went to put my spare d shaft in and spare rear yoke and found the t-case busted off the tranny OPPS and if it wasnt for the front driveshaft it would have fallen out and i would have been stuck in front of a long posi black mark, yeah i know not one of my brightest moves but funny yes. By the way that t-case is still running strong in my 99 dodge dakota due to a broken chain from the dakotas old one.

Quick Reply: Transfer case BUSTED?