2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Ram 1500 - Stalls after driving 10 min.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012 | 08:12 PM
barnmgr
|
Default 95 Ram 1500 - Stalls after driving 10 min.

ok, first time here..and I need help! This has been a TWO WEEK issue and it's not over as of tonite.

I have a 95 D-R 1500 - 5.9

Problem: Stalls after engine is warmed up - won't restart until cool, then can drive another 10 min. or so.

What I have tried:

COIL
CRANKSHAFT SENSOR
MODULATOR/STATOR
DIESTRIBUTOR CAP
THROTTLE BODY POSITION SENSOR
GUTTED OUT THE CAT AND WELDED BACK ON

Codes coming up before and after:

12 - chk ground connection on battery
37 - TCC/3 -4 pack voltage out of range @ tranny temp sensor

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I can't keep buying all these parts and they have done NOTHING - PLUS pay the mechanic for 'his' suggestions and work. Mechanic says that little to NO spark when hot to plugs. He has tried almost everything he can think of.

ps: I LOVE my truck

Last edited by barnmgr; 12-05-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: forgot to add how long this has been going on.
Old 12-05-2012 | 08:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

have you replaced your O2 sensor?

if not unplug it and try your 15 minute run test. lack of O2 signal will set a CEL, but just ignore it.

Old 12-05-2012 | 09:46 PM
peshewa
Veteran

Many sensors can cause this. They are all mostly small units packed in an epoxy resin & they can crack internally. Heat expands that crack, causing a break in the wire, but contracts when cold meaning it runs ok for a bit. Gotta trace the sensor in question. I would say crank or cam sensor could be at fault here.

Old 12-06-2012 | 04:54 AM
barnmgr
|

dhvaughan: I haven't tried the O2 sensor. Will today for sure. I'm honestly at my wit's end here.

peshewa: I changed the crank sensor-no luck. Cam sensor is on my list of things to try as my trans. gasket needs to be changed anyhow

Thank you BOTH for your ideas. I hope all this works! ~gail

Old 12-06-2012 | 05:10 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Cam sensor is breaking down. It's the flat disc shaped thing under the dist cap with the wire. You didn't mention it but if you didn't replace the rotor along with the dist cap then now would be the perfect time to do it.

Old 12-06-2012 | 05:43 AM
barnmgr
|
Default cam sensor

yes, the flat disk thing has been replaced..I was wrong on that..I am trying to keep track of what he replaces..in fact he had to put another one b'cuz the parts store said the 1st one could have been bad. On another note..I googled the location of the CAM sensor and found it said the cam sensor was IN the distibutor.

I am so confused now. ALSO..no, he did not change the rotor..don't know why.

Old 12-06-2012 | 05:50 AM
barnmgr
|

The 'disk' shape thing replaced was called the modulator/stator (according to Advance Auto)..now looking to see what a pic of the cam sensor looks like

Old 12-06-2012 | 05:52 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by barnmgr
yes, the flat disk thing has been replaced..I was wrong on that..I am trying to keep track of what he replaces..in fact he had to put another one b'cuz the parts store said the 1st one could have been bad. On another note..I googled the location of the CAM sensor and found it said the cam sensor was IN the distibutor.

I am so confused now. ALSO..no, he did not change the rotor..don't know why.
The cam sensor IS inside the dist under the dist cap.

Old 12-06-2012 | 05:55 AM
barnmgr
|

hi bw..hey..ok..then it was replace twice..why is the parts place then, calling that item a modulator/stator? if you know..

Old 12-06-2012 | 06:00 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by barnmgr
hi bw..hey..ok..then it was replace twice..why is the parts place then, calling that item a modulator/stator? if you know..
In the older style dist with the points and condensers the plate in the bottom that held the small wedge shaped counter weights was call the 'stator plate'. Some of the terminology has carried over to today's electronic dist. The cam sensor is also sometimes referred to the 'hall effect sensor' depending on the make of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 95 Ram 1500 - Stalls after driving 10 min.