2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spitters and Sputters in the mornings...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 AM
fcreamer88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitters and Sputters in the mornings...

My '00 318 has developed a slight cough in the mornings. I let her warm up for a bit before I take off and she still does it. Its not major yet, but just a slight shutter and almost a miss feel to it. No CEL comes on, just replaced the plugs, and the air filter is newish. Anybody have a idea as to her hiccups? Could it be the moisture in the air, as I live on the texas coast and the fog is as thick as a wool blanket in the mornings.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 AM
fcreamer88

correction....01. fat fingers. and stock intake, if that helps with the moisture question.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Check the wires, cap, and rotor as well. If they are questionable, replace them. Might be a sensor as well, but, the previously mentioned stuff needs to be addressed first. (not to mention being cheaper. )

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
ReadRam
All Star

What HeyYou said and make sure none of your plug wires are up against injector wiring, especially #8 and #7. I had a similar problem all summer/fall. Noticed i had one wire running against #8 harness, it was like night and day or it was the NGK plugs, coppers.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
fcreamer88

I replaced the old champion plugs with Autolites. Could this be part of the problem? I was told the gap was already to specifications of the motor and quite a few people recommended them on this forum. The old ones were burnt up pretty bad....not much copper left to them. I just wonder if the two sets, one being burnt up, and the other being possible junk, could be causing it. We'll see how she does this morning. Its currently 40 degrees down here and for once, not a whisp of moisture. Maybe my fog theory will play out......Thanks for the info yall.

Quick Reply: Spitters and Sputters in the mornings...