2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug shield

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 AM
SquirmyPug
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug shield

Got a 2002 1500 4x4 with the 5.9L. The truck has 29k on it and gets a #8 misfire at startup about once every 3 weeks so I'm replacing the plugs. I'm removing the shields around the plug boot because I can't get the boot out with them in place. I could replace some of the shields but some of them I can't get to. I was reading about these but most of the posts about the shields are old, has anyone had any problems from running without them?

An easy job has become a problem because of the shields, really tight boots, and plugs that make me think I'm going to bust a nut just breaking them free. So far all the old plugs have had about .050 gap, replaced with new plugs gapped at .040.

Thanks for any info about the plug shields.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Halojm
Professional

I've remove all the shields on my 97 Ram, I haven't had a problem without them for years.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

Lots of folks have removed them without consequence. A fair few of them actually advocate removing them, as they tend to trap crud, which then likes to fall into the cylinder when you change the plugs. Yank 'em, toss 'em, and don't worry about it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
dlyter09
Champion

They can be a pain to remove though.. I wanted to remove mine and couldnt get a single one to budge..

Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by dlyter09
They can be a pain to remove though.. I wanted to remove mine and couldnt get a single one to budge..
Same here. I just decided to leave them in. Blow them out with compressed air before I pull the plugs. Have you checked the plenum and catalytic converter?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM
SquirmyPug
Amateur

Got all the shields out without a problem. SilverSS, I checked the plenum about 2 weeks ago and it looked fine and the cat. seems fine. I thought it would be ok without the shields but wanted to make sure. Thanks guys.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i threw mine away 6 years ago. no problems.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always add boot protectors to the plugs if the manifolds run really hot.

Boot protectors

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

The metal spark plug tubes should be removed and thrown in the trash.

I had a set on my original 5.9 motor that allowed all kinds of crud to accumulate around the spark plug. My truck was an original snow plow truck. The plugs were stuck in the heads so bad that I had three plugs that broke off and could not be removed - of course, the plugs that broke were hard to get to at the rear of the motor on the driver's side. I ended up replacing the motor due to rust issues.

Before I installed the 2nd motor, I took the heads off the motor (was going to take the heads to the machine shop for a valve job) and removed all of the spark plug tubes. I just clamped a pair of Vise-Grips onto each tube, rocked it back and forth a bit and each tube came off without much trouble.

When installing new plugs, take the opportunity to spread a bit of dialectric grease inside the spark plug boots to make removing the spark plug boots easy the next time you have to service spark plugs or wires.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM
SilverSS
Captain

^^^+1 on dielectric grease. Also I always put anti seize on the threads.

Quick Reply: Spark plug shield