2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

quick add-a-leaf question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha no they don't, for a cheap kit you will need to buy them and you should never reuse them anyway.

Edit: As answered no there is not enough thread on the stock u bolts. Did you get new center pins/bolts for the leaf pack with the kit?

Have a read

http://www.eatonsprings.com/ubolttorques.htm

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-19-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be ready for a stiffer ride when you get those installed. I feel every bump in my truck since I added a lifting leaf.
Also, it's a good thing you started with the PB blaster already, that stuff is a really weak penetrating fluid and since you live in a salt state it will probably take a while to actually penetrate the rust.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Haha no they don't, for a cheap kit you will need to buy them and you should never reuse them anyway.

Edit: As answered no there is not enough thread on the stock u bolts. Did you get new center pins/bolts for the leaf pack with the kit?

Have a read

http://www.eatonsprings.com/ubolttorques.htm
actually its been answered already that there is enough thread on the stock U bolts and yes it came with new centering pins. Also, U bolts are not TTY and can be reused unless they are clearly not reusable. Which I will determine when I put in the AAL. I have never had an issue before when reusing U bolts. This is not my first time doing suspension work, just my first time doing an AAL.

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
Be ready for a stiffer ride when you get those installed. I feel every bump in my truck since I added a lifting leaf.
Also, it's a good thing you started with the PB blaster already, that stuff is a really weak penetrating fluid and since you live in a salt state it will probably take a while to actually penetrate the rust.
i'm not too concerned about the stiffer ride as i drive 95% highway everyday. I've had my best luck with PB blaster over other penatrating fluids. but I always spray my nuts and bolts a few times before I start a project on my truck because i live in wisconsin lol

Last edited by 97ramrod1500; 12-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM
III%
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've added a leaf to almost every vehicle I've ever owned. Always changed the U bolts. The locking nuts are crushed to oval shape on the ends so it's critical that some amount of thread protrudes or they can back off.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
obviously if the parts were needed the AAL would come with new U bolts. I only asked if there were enough threads on the factory U bolts for the AAL. If i need new U bolts I will get them but being that I am an auto tech i will make that decision when i do the job.

If you are an almighty auto tech why are you asking a stupid question like this in the first place?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Good question and funny picture lol

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
obviously if the parts were needed the AAL would come with new U bolts. I only asked if there were enough threads on the factory U bolts for the AAL. If i need new U bolts I will get them but being that I am an auto tech i will make that decision when i do the job.
Wrong...
If a 2" AAL came with ubolts as a package they would have to make different size ubolts depending on the size of the original leaf pack on each persons truck (Hence why they just leave the buying of the ubolts the owners responsibility). What if I wanna put a 2" AAL on top of my 10" lift leaf springs? And some other guy just wants to put a 2" AAL on his stock leaf pack? Those ubolts aren't gonna be a one size fits all.

I'm not great at explaining things but you get the idea.
Just buy longer ubolts.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 12-20-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You may find this some interesting reading.....

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger

If you are an almighty auto tech why are you asking a stupid question like this in the first place?

First off i never called my self a master tech, greatly experienced tech and i sure as hell didn't call myself an almighty tech. I only have a few years of experience in the field therfore i am still learning. As i stated earlier; i have worked on these suspension systems before but have never installed an AAL. I have never needed to replace U-bolts before unless they were unusable. Therefore I had asked the question in the first place because I did not know how much threads I would need to put in an extra leaf. Because I have never insalled one before, I did not know how thick the actual leaf was.

Next time you decide to be a smart ***, read through the entire thread and understand what you are reading. I clearly stated why I had asked the original question I have already gotten my answer.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, new bolts are cheap insurance. Don't be a cheap-***: buy new bolts.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welp, he got his answer, time for jkeaton to close this thread! (that was not meant for humor)

Quick Reply: quick add-a-leaf question