2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transfer case Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM
V10Rampower
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a major difference between just ATF and ATF+4, I know the ATF+4 is fully synthetic but does it make a big difference, I have just ATF in my NP 241DLD behind my v10, should this be changed?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it should likely be changed. The reason behind using the same fluid in the trans. and t-case is that should one of them leak into the other, it wouldn't compromise the trans.

I used SuperTech (walmart brand) ATF+4 in my trans and t-case and it is working great. And I had it serviced with that same brand, works great for me.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Yes, it should likely be changed. The reason behind using the same fluid in the trans. and t-case is that should one of them leak into the other, it wouldn't compromise the trans.
Just curious: Has anyone here seen or heard a reliable report of fluid going from transfer case to transmission? The transmission fluid is under pressure, whereas the transfer case is not, and is vented to the atmosphere so it cannot pressurize. It seems, to me, very unlikely if not impossible. Not that I know for sure... just wondering.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Just curious: Has anyone here seen or heard a reliable report of fluid going from transfer case to transmission? The transmission fluid is under pressure, whereas the transfer case is not, and is vented to the atmosphere so it cannot pressurize. It seems, to me, very unlikely if not impossible. Not that I know for sure... just wondering.
Nope, but that's one of the reasons Dodge did that.

That and it's easier.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 PM
blindsided
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I don't know the answer, I just know when I change the transmission fluid it looks new for a very long time. I would think it would get darker as it mixed w/ the rest of the older fluid..... doesn't seem to happen. :-/

It's funny you bring that up, I was just thinking about that issue.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run atf or gear oil, these transfer cases aren't picky. I agree that the chance of transmission fluid contamination is next to non-existent.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,230 Likes on 2,980 Posts

Also, take out the FILL plug FIRST. Just to make sure you can.

Quick Reply: transfer case Q's