2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tuning solutions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM
34blazer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was just going to say, no support from TC. HPtuners has been developing dodge stuff for years now, still not much available.

i saw another thread that Cruze55 had his PCM(or VCM?) cracked. hopefully he will chime in, or i can try to get ahold of him. Id like to find out what processer is contained in the PCM. and there may be someone who can help disassemble the code and build a mask.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

If you are really determined, I would be rather tempted to look at what it would take to convert to a gm obdii, sequential FI system. MUCH more support for tuning, and also the added advantage of knock sensor support.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are really determined, I would be rather tempted to look at what it would take to convert to a gm obdii, sequential FI system. MUCH more support for tuning, and also the added advantage of knock sensor support.
yeah looks like another GM ECM/PCM is in the works lol.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM
34blazer
Rookie

the 12200411 or black box PCM looks to be the probable canidate for the swap.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

gonna have to rewire for that.... should be fun.

Also, I haven't the faintest how knock sensors work..... something about harmonics, and specific frequencies..... so, not sure if there is an easy solution for determining which one will work. You going OBDI or II?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

I can't begin to tell what's inside the box.I'm not a computer nerd like my brainchild.It's 5 yrs old and been flawless in function.This was a project veh for her and study group at MIT.OBD 1 system.3 weeks of R&D ,100 hrs of chassic dyno.Course work in Automotive Electronics Solution for Devlopment and Manufacturing,Mechatronics,which belongs to Siemens PLM Software,Siemens.com.This is what the "NERDS" told me the system does.Veh with intelligent features and assistance systems that intergrate mechanical funtions with electronic control which are driven by software and connected by physical wiring!That was the only part of the explaination I understood.For serious help these guys do topfuel and prostock for NHRA ,R.E Racing Electronics-Pro Carassociates.com -DedenBear.com.For local help check turners (rice and euro) that give you hardware assistance and wiring harrness.The system in the truck about $2600.00. Sorry not being able to release more info,not mine to give.Good luck.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Was looking at the HP Tuner stuff a bit closer, too. Appears that they do not support JTEC based PCMs that are used in our trucks, however, they are planning to provide support for it. Just not sure as to when this support may be available. For more information, see the thread on their forum regarding Dodge support that started back in 2008 and is still active today...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19609

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
gonna have to rewire for that.... should be fun.

Also, I haven't the faintest how knock sensors work..... something about harmonics, and specific frequencies..... so, not sure if there is an easy solution for determining which one will work. You going OBDI or II?
well when and if i decide to dive into the swap i plan on building an adapter harness and adding circuits as needed. finding the appropriate KS wont be hard, just use the correct sensor for the model year of which the PCM is. basically the knock filter is built to match the engine it was designed for, and matching gain/frequecy for the KS. the 0411 can also use dual knock sensors as well.
when i installed a GM ECM(OBD1) in my mustang i had to use the KS that was designed for the donor vehicle, in this cas it was a 92 pontiac sunbird V6. works well with the 5.0 too.

@ Cruzer, OBD1? interesting, so i take it the R&D team used fully disassembled(and commented) the code as well?

@AtomicDog, did a search for JTEC and found what looks to be a disassembled hac, going to try and find more on this.

http://jtec.info/index.php?title=Unk..._Code_Overview

edit, found this....
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...79733-pcm.html

*edit again, just found some bins...
http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...CM-Flash/page2

Last edited by 34blazer; 12-27-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Yes,and many scopes and misc programs.Then the wiring.What was desired was a simple non A/C motor which is inthe truck.Was stated as a stand alone system it would be so much more effective,but the PCM also with all functions routed threw it makes the task difficult,memory for the radios,chimes,delays,relays ,you know everything goes in to the PCM.Starting with OBD 1 system gave concept for upgrades for OBD2 and present systems.It made my brain hurt getting so much info.With the research your doing there will be a moment of WTF,that was a few of my moments.If just motor were involved and enhancement for performance, stand alone would be the system of choice.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

34blazer, the JTEC info WIKI has been abandoned. The guy who started it seems to have moved on to other things. Here is the thread that seems to have kicked it off:

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...e-JTEC-tunning

Here is some more JTEC info that may interest you:

http://www.pacificautotronics.com/MO..._Operation.pdf

Quick Reply: tuning solutions