2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what's your average mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
Let me know if this works. I'm at 110,000 miles and i didn't replace my plenum, o2s, or anything yet.
Spend the money, so worth it!

Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
And when you're done, you can lubricate snakes!

Haha and I will add that if something blows up don't come squawkin' in the gibberish thread lol...

Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer

CNG and Propane burning vehicles are more efficient than a gasoline engine, and aren't too hard to find. It also isn't terribly hard to convert a engine to propane or CNG if you have access to the parts.
Hmm? They are not quite as powerful but when tuned properly are more efficient (use less fuel) from what I have observed. Of course if you do towing it wouldn't be more efficient. In some places like around here propane is cheaper to buy than gasoline.
As someone that has run/owned a propane powered truck no they are not more efficient on fuel over gasoline, cleaner burning yes. So propane up here is half the cost of gas but uses twice as much so there is nothing to be gained from it that way. A propane powered motor must be built for propane to get good hp/performance from it, IE higher comp, more timing advance and so on. Up here if you run propane you are exempt from any and all air pollution tests.

My old 454 on propane ez basic set up

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

REMEMBER, if you never learned in engineering, many times a engine has to be made specifically to run on hydrogen as when hydrogen and oxygen combust they create what? WATER VAPOUR! And our engines are NOT designed to be able to handle it... Just look at what happens when a cylinder cavitates or a head has a extremely severe cracks or the head gasket leaks coolant into the engine. It pits the metal. Pure and simple.

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
Im not quite sure where you went to school techningeer.....
Let's get an answer to this question as the response at the top I've quoted implies you've done some learning.

I'm not an engine guy...but I'm having a hard time seeing the presence of cavitation in a cylinder.

Best example of cavitation is a propeller in water whereby the microsized air bubbles (high density and rate) explode on the surface of the blade, which then leads to "spalling" of material. In an engine....it's possible to get air consistently to the cylinder to do this......?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I'm not an engine guy...but I'm having a hard time seeing the presence of cavitation in a cylinder.

Best example of cavitation is a propeller in water whereby the microsized air bubbles (high density and rate) explode on the surface of the blade, which then leads to "spalling" of material. In an engine....it's possible to get air consistently to the cylinder to do this......?
I was trying to figure out this as well. Spot on, Cavitation and ventilation I see and deal with all the time on boats, sea-doos and the like.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
The cavitation of which he speaks is in the water jacket on the not-fiery side of the cylinder wall. Dat hep enny?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The cavitation of which he speaks is in the water jacket on the not-fiery side of the cylinder wall. Dat hep enny?
UnReg to some extent I was speaking of what you mentioned above, however, I have been warned by machine shops about tractor engines with leaking head gaskets, cracked heads, etc. to watch out for pitting in the cylinder walls in the combustion chamber. Now I just threw it out there, whether it applies to Magnum engines or not, I do not know. Am I making sense here?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha and I will add that if something blows up don't come squawkin' in the gibberish thread lol...
Where can i find this gibberish thread? sounds like there could be some good info in there.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The water4gas, HHO, etc... systems don't work. It requires more energy to crack water molecules that you get out of burning them, (and hence, recombining...)

There are hundreds of these types of systems out there on the market, NONE of them are worth a tinkers damn. Do you seriously think that if the auto manufactures had the potential to double the fuel economy of some of their gas hogs, they would JUMP on the technology? Especially in this day and age of federally mandated fuel efficiency numbers?

Nope. Doesn't work. Never will.
Absolute nonsense. I don't believe it. It is pure foolery unless PICS and PROOF be made.
Yeah...i just couldnt give up on this just yet

The idea of using hydrogen to power the internal combustion engine seems to have been around since before cars were....so if the point here is can hydrogen be used to power the engine i think the following suggests the answer is most definitely YES...is it a viable option for our trucks i cant yet say...but it seems as though it might be worth some spare time.

Hydrogen internal combustion engine cars are different from hydrogen fuel cell cars. The hydrogen internal combustion car is a slightly modified version of the traditional gasoline internal combustion engine car. These hydrogen engines burn fuel in the same manner that gasoline engines do.
Francois Isaac de Rivaz designed in 1807 the first hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engine.[34]

Paul Dieges patented in 1970 a modification to internal combustion engines which allowed a gasoline-powered engine to run on hydrogen US 3844262.

Mazda has developed Wankel engines burning hydrogen. The advantage of using ICE (internal combustion engine) like Wankel and piston engines is the cost of retooling for production is much lower. Existing-technology ICE can still be applied for solving those problems where fuel cells are not a viable solution insofar, for example in cold-weather applications.
HICE forklift trucks have been demonstrated[35] based on converted diesel internal combustion engines with direct injection.[31]

In July 2010 Boeing unveiled its hydrogen powered Phantom Eye UAV, powered by two Ford internal combustion engines that have been converted to run on hydrogen.[29]

DEARBORN, Mich., March 2, 2005 – Ford Motor Company plans to introduce its first commercial hydrogen-powered V-10, E-450 shuttle bus to the airline ground support market at the 2005 Ground Support Equipment Expo, March 8-10 in Las Vegas, Nev.
Propelled by an internal combustion engine that is supercharged and inter-cooled for maximum efficiency, the 12-passenger E-450 shuttle bus is designed to run on hydrogen fuel instead of gasoline. The vehicle is equipped with a 26-gallon equivalent, 5,000 pounds-per-square-inch hydrogen fuel tank with an expected range of about 150 miles. With near-zero emissions, including carbon dioxide, the E-450 shuttle bus will meet the most stringent applicable emissions standards.

The Ford display at the 2005 GSE Expo (booth #4096) will include the Ford V-10 hydrogen E-450 shuttle bus, Ford 6.8-liter hydrogen engine, Generac gen-set and TUG tow tractor, all operable on hydrogen. Representatives from Stuart Energy, an Ontario-based hydrogen station manufacturer, will also be at Ford's booth to provide information on the hydrogen filling station equipment needed to support these vehicles. It is the foundation of a new hydrogen infrastructure that uses only water and electricity to produce clean, pure hydrogen.

The Hydrogen 7 Saloon not only produces no CO2 or hydrocarbons, it actually cleans the surrounding air around it. In fact, the exhaust from the tailpipe is cleaner than the atmosphere. Additionally, Non-Methane Organic Gases (NMOGs) and Carbon Monoxides (COs) in emission levels are also less than those in the ambient atmosphere. In a report from Science Daily on March 31, 2008, the US Department of Energy (DOE) stated that the engine emitted only a small fraction of the Super-Ultra Low-Emission Vehicle level (SULEV) for automobiles. In exacting tests, it was found to have “near-zero” emissions.

Oh and here is one i thought you'd like Merc..being our resident boat man i saw this and thought of you. pretty cool eh!

MIG 675 Draws Its Power From The Water
If money is no object to you, but environmental concerns are, then LUXURY’s MIG 675 might be your kind of boat. The 22 x 8-foot cruiser seats three, has a top speed of 70 mph, and produces emissions consisting of nothing but water vapor - via its hydrogen-powered engine. It’s where that hydrogen reportedly comes from, however, that may really raise a few eyebrows.

Instead of carrying pressurized hydrogen tanks, the MIG 675 reportedly produces its own fuel, using an onboard generator that harvests hydrogen from the surrounding seawater. This powers its 500 HP supercharged engine, providing a cruising speed of 45 mph and the previously-mentioned 70 mph top end.

The hydrogen generator also powers all the onboard electrical devices, which include an electric anchor roller, a 10-inch touchscreen controller, GPS, depth finder, rear-view camera, an Alpine audio system, a bar fridge with an electric retractable table, and an LED navigation lighting system.

Ok i think im done lol.

Quick Reply: what's your average mpg?