2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what's your average mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

'98 5.2 man 4x4 SWB... 19/16mpg new... 153k later 15/12mpg

Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
duckslayer5032
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I order the Hughes plenum its on its way now ill update you guys and see if it was the problem

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Hmm....well i see many here are getting a little tired of this one for some reason...though i cant possibly figure out why

Your first post asked if there was anything you could do about the mpg's

other than pointing at failure points that are common with the truck i have not seen many suggestions so i thought i would offer one that I stumbled on the other night while helping my daughter with homework..

..it was very interesting...i actually plan to attempt this and see how it goes on a system ill fab up when the time comes...

so here it is.. water4gas...the splitting of H20 to release the hydrogen and oxygen and feed it into the intake for combustion...has the potential to double your gas mileage..a guy can build this sytem cheaply himself or order parts...there are many videos an info about this if you search google but here is on link i used an watched vids from there.

http://water4gasdownloads.com/water4gas-kit.html

ok....so shields are up...let the flaming begin.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
so here it is.. water4gas...the splitting of H20 to release the hydrogen and oxygen and feed it into the intake for combustion...has the potential to double your gas mileage..
Don't be a sucker.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolute nonsense. I don't believe it. It is pure foolery unless PICS and PROOF be made.

REMEMBER, if you never learned in engineering, many times a engine has to be made specifically to run on hydrogen as when hydrogen and oxygen combust they create what? WATER VAPOUR! And our engines are NOT designed to be able to handle it... Just look at what happens when a cylinder cavitates or a head has a extremely severe cracks or the head gasket leaks coolant into the engine. It pits the metal. Pure and simple.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Hydrogen gas is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Remember the Hindenburg. I don't see it happening without an expensive designed system like they use on the space shuttle rockets.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 AM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Im not quite sure where you went to school techningeer.....but WATER is a byproduct of combustion PERIOD. Your producing h2o now while burning your petrol..so not quite sure what your trying to say here.

Combustion or burning is the sequence of exothermic chemical reactions between a fuel and an oxidant accompanied by the production of heat and conversion of chemical species. The release of heat can produce light in the form of either glowing or a flame. Fuels of interest often include organic compounds (especially hydrocarbons) in the gas, liquid or solid phase.
In a complete combustion reaction, a compound reacts with an oxidizing element, such as oxygen or fluorine, and the products are compounds of each element in the fuel with the oxidizing element. For example:
CH4 + 2 O2 → CO2 + 2 H2O + energy

A simple example can be seen in the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen, which is a commonly used reaction in rocket engines:
2 H2 + O2 → 2 H2O(g) + heat
The result is water vapor.

Complete combustion is almost impossible to achieve. In reality, as actual combustion reactions come to equilibrium, a wide variety of major and minor species will be present such as carbon monoxide and pure carbon (soot or ash). Additionally, any combustion in atmospheric air, which is 79 percent nitrogen, will also create several forms of nitrogen oxides.

In complete combustion, the reactant burns in oxygen, producing a limited number of products. When a hydrocarbon burns in oxygen, the reaction will only yield carbon dioxide and water. When elements are burned, the products are primarily the most common oxides. Carbon will yield carbon dioxide, nitrogen will yield nitrogen dioxide, sulfur will yield sulfur dioxide, and iron will yield iron(III) oxide.

Incomplete combustion will only occur when there is not enough oxygen to allow the fuel to react completely to produce carbon dioxide and water. It also happens when the combustion is quenched by a heat sink such as a solid surface or flame trap.
For most fuels, such as diesel oil, coal or wood, pyrolysis occurs before combustion. In incomplete combustion, products of pyrolysis remain unburnt and contaminate the smoke with noxious particulate matter and gases. Partially oxidized compounds are also a concern; partial oxidation of ethanol can produce harmful acetaldehyde, and carbon can produce toxic carbon monoxide.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Hydrogen gas is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Remember the Hindenburg. I don't see it happening without an expensive designed system like they use on the space shuttle rockets.
not to poke at you here but so is natural gas, propane and methane...all commonly found in or around your home. just sayin.

Quick Reply: what's your average mpg?