2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cracked Dash Pad

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM
lkrides
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Dash Pad

I got vey lucky and grabbed a flawless dash pad for $30 from Crazy Ray's. I have found the threads on how to replace it. I just need tips on some related issues.

It is cold here in Md. I'm thinking of waiting to spring to replace the dash pad. Is there any particular penetrating chemical I can repeatedly treat it with to help keep it from cracking in the future?

When I turn on my defrost debris briefly blows out on to the dash and in to the air. It's pretty much fine dirt and what I'm guessing is filter material (the truck sat under a tree for years, so there was a lot of nature I had to clean out of it). Can you advise on what else I should replace while I have this pulled apart?

Happy New Year

Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Heater core, evap core. Remove the heater box while the dash is out, and pull it apart, and thoroughly clean it. Make sure all the various doors operate correctly, and freely...

Also look under the plastic grill at the base of the windshield (outside) that's where the heater intake is, clean that out as well.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lkrides
I got vey lucky and grabbed a flawless dash pad for $30 from Crazy Ray's. I have found the threads on how to replace it. I just need tips on some related issues.

It is cold here in Md. I'm thinking of waiting to spring to replace the dash pad. Is there any particular penetrating chemical I can repeatedly treat it with to help keep it from cracking in the future?

When I turn on my defrost debris briefly blows out on to the dash and in to the air. It's pretty much fine dirt and what I'm guessing is filter material (the truck sat under a tree for years, so there was a lot of nature I had to clean out of it). Can you advise on what else I should replace while I have this pulled apart?

Happy New Year
Thanks for manning up and fixing your truck instead of coming on here just to b!tch about how dodges suck and we should sue them because your dash is cracked. I replaced mine (in my '95) which was destroyed top to bottom, and it was a world of difference in how much I enjoy driving the truck.

Be careful not to pinch any wires during the reassembly, there is a lot to pay attention to.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Where is the best place to find a new dash pad assembly for the '96 Ram? LMC Truck's catalog only shows them for '98 and up.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new OEM parts are ABS plastic, which means they will not crack like the original ones.

www.wermopar.com has the best prices on OEM parts that I have found.

Part # 5EY72RC8

Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Thanks!! My dash pad is just starting to crack a bit, so a replacement is in my future..

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
jfreakofkorn

Some really good advise and recommendations ....

I ll have to look in this a bit further ....

Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Mslaven

Thank You for That Link, I have been trying to find something like that for a while.
I need to replace just about all my plastics in the dash, just about everything holding all of it together has been cracked or splitting.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mslaven
Thank You for That Link, I have been trying to find something like that for a while.
I need to replace just about all my plastics in the dash, just about everything holding all of it together has been cracked or splitting.
Mine too.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
The new OEM parts are ABS plastic, which means they will not crack like the original ones.

www.wermopar.com has the best prices on OEM parts that I have found.

Part # 5EY72RC8

A lot of "Discontinued" parts... our trucks must be getting old.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash Pad