2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brush Guard Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brush Guard Question

I have a 2001 Ram Sport Offroad Edition and I want to put a brush guard on it. Everywhere I've looked says I would have to make major changes to the brackets of the bumper or cut part of the bumper to fit it on the sport bumper, but since mine is an Offroad Edition it has tow hooks on the bottom and the bumper has slot for these to stick out. Can I mount a brush guard on the Sport Offroad Edition due to the tow hooks and slot in the sport bumper that is built in?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this done before, but it was just a plain sport edition, no offroad package. I'm not sure how the offroad package would affect this. But the guy had a full brush guard on his truck but he had to have a 2" body lift as well in order for it to fit without modification. Obviously it can be done, but you may need the coil spring spacers

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
I've seen this done before, but it was just a plain sport edition, no offroad package. I'm not sure how the offroad package would affect this. But the guy had a full brush guard on his truck but he had to have a 2" body lift as well in order for it to fit without modification. Obviously it can be done, but you may need the coil spring spacers
The offroad edition comes with two inches of lift factory and mine has an additional 3 on body and 3 on suspension. Does that mean I should be good?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The issue usually suspension-related, it's just that the tow hooks that came with the Off-Road package bolt in the same spot that most brush guard bolt up to. You may have to lose or relocate your tow hooks to fit a brush guard.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With the immense amount of available type brush guards out there....it's tough to give you any kind of input other than ppl sharing the ones they have. Dodge_Dude94 has one and I don't know WHY he has not replied.

Why don't you post up some links/pictures to the ones you're looking at. Just like aftermarket bumpers, some will account for body lift or not. A suspension lift should have nothing to do with it. Body lift is not suspension related, just for clarification.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThaBigYoss
The offroad edition comes with two inches of lift factory and mine has an additional 3 on body and 3 on suspension. Does that mean I should be good?
I also have an offroad edition ram, but the 2 inch lift from factory is suspension (i believe) and not a body lift. But you said you have a 3 inch body lift on it already, so i would imagine that you would be okay. might have to delete the two hooks, as was previously stated. I believe the one i saw mounted on a sport edition was the westin brush guard but im not 100% sure on that one

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most likely brush guards will use factory bolt locations. Body life will be only issue.

Suspension lift won't be. Curious how the 3" Sl was done though, 3" pucks on the ORE spring (total 4.5-5") or removed ORE spring for 3" lift spring (total 3" no more ORE).

Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

you thinking of something like this?

Pesonally i like Wh1t3Nukle's bumper or maybe one like this

But im sure you can make just about anything work for ya with minimal if any modifications...the bull bar on my truck was meant for 03 and up trucks i think but it works.

Lets see some pics of what your lookin at and your truck too. That'd be fun.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM
duckslayer5032
Rookie

The road armor one is pretty simple to but on I have the road armor lonestar and personally I love it I picked it up on a steal its just a tad bulky but ill change the carnage bars by the summer time

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
ThaBigYoss
Rookie

I've been looking mostly at Westin and Go Rhino ones. I like the look of the Go Rhino 3000 series but I know Westin's name comes with more reliability.

http://www.carid.com/2001-dodge-ram-...rd-379872.html
http://www.carid.com/go-rhino/3000-s...le-guards.html

Quick Reply: Brush Guard Question