2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments

Hey everyone, I have a 2000 dodge ram sport 4x4. Apparently the tv cable and accelerator cable are both common issues. I fixed the accelerator cable already, but the tv line is not adjusting properly. I believe the black piece connecting to the throttle body lever is broken. Shouldn't the cable be seated at the *** end of this piece? closest towards the front of the truck? Mine is seated on the side closest to the firewall.. so when i open the throttle all the black piece does is slide along the cable, not pulling the cable tight as it should. I am having hard shifting in 2nd and 3rd gear, it would be great if someone could clarify my issue. Thanks!
Harrison

Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

With the throttle closed, there should be NO slack in the TV cable, if you have cable sticking out the end of the clip at the throttle body, you definitely need to adjust that....

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

There is definitely a lot of slack.. if i open the throttle lever all the way (which is beyond full throttle) it barely tightens. Should the cable be seated at the end of the clip/connector? I think if it was the cable would be tight. Right now its just "floating" around somewhere in the connector.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope this works. My phone and links dont like eachother.

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Dodg...Adjustment.pdf

Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by kejobe
Hope this works. My phone and links dont like eachother.

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Dodg...Adjustment.pdf
This definitely will help with the final adjustment, thank you! My problem is that I have way to much slack after the locking mechanism. Im almost certain there is something wrong with the connector attached to the throttle lever. I found that when I take off the clip to the locking mechanism I cant push the cable further in.. which means the cable should be tight as Hey You stated.. but thats not the case.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the other end of the cable, and see what things look like down there at the trans.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

I will definitely check that out tomorrow, what exactly am i looking for? Does the cable go into the transmission, or is there another mechanism it connects to?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I believe the cable just hooks to a lever down at the trans. I wonder if the cable isn't seized, and that is why it is 'adjusted' the way it is.... Can you pull the cable out further? Or does it not move at all?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the location is on the driver's side of the tranny, right by an electrical plug. the cable sits on a rod connected to the valve body along with the shifter cable. This thing is a PITA to take off the rod because the bolt likes to rust and it is at a horrible angle to get a wrench or socket on. Hopefully it can be adjusted without having to be taken off the rod...

*edit
I believe there is also a spring hooked to it as well...it shouldnt be hard to locate

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I believe the cable just hooks to a lever down at the trans. I wonder if the cable isn't seized, and that is why it is 'adjusted' the way it is.... Can you pull the cable out further? Or does it not move at all?
I can pull the cable out further, but it will not go in further.

Quick Reply: Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments