2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy, new truck and opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Sure wouldn't hurt to replace it...... could always keep it around as a spare as well.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM
xplorer82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True..

Well still stalled when put in reverse after new IAC... went and picked up the TPS today after work. Gonna throw that on tonight and see what happens 2morrow morning...

Got laid off work today so ill have a little time to track this problem down. I will update the thread for others with this issue, so they have something to read on and what my cure was.. gonna do one thing at a time till its resolved.

Wish it would throw me a code or something...

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xplorer82
.....also did the magnet test on my plate, original, will be ordering a hughes plate in the future.

It really isn't the plate, it is whether the gasket on that plate is blown, allowing the intake to suck oil into it. Grab a PCV from the dealer as well.

Remove TB and look inside intake with a flashlight and small mirror.

And you can find the plate for less money on e-bay.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Yeah im going to grab one of them too.. ill check ebay as well, thanks..

I peaked inside the TB when i had the air box off doing the IAC and i saw very very little oil inside it. I am going to remove the TB to clean it up real good and possibly change out the MAP sensor since the other 2 sensors are new now. $80 tho, eek..... have to ponder on that one.

Today while installing the new TPS i noticed on the keg there is the vac line going from the keg to the driver side valve cover, well there is a "nipple" right under that vac line, there is nothing connected to that nipple tho... looks like there is a plug on it...

I snapped some pics of it, give me a few to upload them to PB and ill post them

Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Name:  photobucket-3269-1359085832148.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  photobucket-2336-1359085799566.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  112.3 KB

So, is that for looks or is there supposed to be something there? Ill look around under there more tomorrow

Last edited by xplorer82; 01-24-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 PM
gdstock
Legend

That is OK if everything works. Keg may have mroe ports than needed. Replace the rubber cap if it is cracked though. Otherwise it will cause vac leak issue.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

My throttle body/air cleaner gasket broke and I couldn't be arsed to get a new one since its winter. I have zero stalls. That wasn't even remotely causing your problem just luck of the draw.

After seeing how those intake bolts look and how dirty everything is, seems it has never had a plenum gasket change, which would cause your stalling & chugging and is probably the #1 problem & cause of misfires,oil use and running like crap in these otherwise bullitproof engines. Get the $21 intake/plenum gasket set from O'Riellys and a tube of copper permatex and change that plenum gasket out.

That $50 aluminum plate is a waste of cash, the copper permatex along with the felpro plenum gasket does the trick and will most likely last the life of the truck. I've done it to mine, know several shops that have done it as well and they've never had one back with that fix. Copper permatex allows both the steel plate & intake to expand without tearing the gasket. Plus it also helps make sure the intake gaskets don't move on you during install.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-25-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
That is OK if everything works. Keg may have mroe ports than needed. Replace the rubber cap if it is cracked though. Otherwise it will cause vac leak issue.
thanks. i was told no history behind the truck really. the guy only had it for less then a year and he was told nothing from the person he got it from. so just wanted to make sure something wasnt disconnected before and just plugged by someone.. i will be replacing the cap because it shows its age.

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
My throttle body/air cleaner gasket broke and I couldn't be arsed to get a new one since its winter. I have zero stalls. That wasn't even remotely causing your problem just luck of the draw.

After seeing how those intake bolts look and how dirty everything is, seems it has never had a plenum gasket change, which would cause your stalling & chugging and is probably the #1 problem & cause of misfires,oil use and running like crap in these otherwise bullitproof engines. Get the $21 intake/plenum gasket set from O'Riellys and a tube of copper permatex and change that plenum gasket out.

That $50 aluminum plate is a waste of cash, the copper permatex along with the felpro plenum gasket does the trick and will most likely last the life of the truck. I've done it to mine, know several shops that have done it as well and they've never had one back with that fix. Copper permatex allows both the steel plate & intake to expand without tearing the gasket. Plus it also helps make sure the intake gaskets don't move on you during install.
thanks for the reply.

i dont think anyone has fooled with the keg as well. i did find there are new valve cover gaskets on (nice and blue).. i will be replacing the plate and gaskets soon tho and will get the copper permatex to try it..

as far as the truck, i dont get misfires that much, once and awhile when stopped at a light or stop sign i can feel a little misfire not all the time tho and they are very faint. and as far as running like crap, the truck performs great, no complaints especially after the new IAC and TPS.

this morning i went out to warm her up to get ready to leave. for the hell of it after i just started it, i let it idle for a sec to get a steady idle and once it held i threw it in reverse and didnt die, backed up a foot then finish letting her warm up. came out about 10 mins later, engine was up to Temp, threw it in reverse and guess what. died.

so im guessing i can rule out the TC lock up issue making it stall(?) since i could have back right up upon a fresh start up, but once warm it just dies, engine cuts out..

idk, next thing will clean TB, if no help then it will be the gaskets and plate..

thanks again guys, i have been googling and searching things but everyone that has this problem rearly ever post the fix, they just vanish.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM
xplorer82
Professional

before i forget. i was reading and the throttle valve cable and throttle cable work together in uniform between the TB/sensors and trans to run corectly, or something along those lines. i wonder if someone might have fooled with them at one time? quite possible, but no way to tell except follow the haynes on adjusting them correctly..

idk, just thoughts and things ive had/read, anything is possible.

Last edited by xplorer82; 01-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

TV cable won't cause stalling. It just alters shift points according to how hard you are stepping on the skinny pedal.

Quick Reply: New guy, new truck and opinions needed.