2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire, running out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire, running out of ideas.

So as some of you know i developed a nasty inconsistent missfire the other day. I have already changed my plugs (autolite 3923's) and my cap and rotor. Still no improvement. So today i did a compression test and got 175-190 on all 8. I also check fuel pressure and holding a steady 49 psi. I swapped out my coil for a spare one i had and no change. I have just about run out of ideas. The only thing i havent tried is driving around with the fuel pressure gauge to see if it cuts out.

I would think that if i had a broken valve spring that the miss would be constant and that if the dizzy shaft gear was worn then it would run like **** all the time if it would run at all.

My plenum does appear to be leaking a little bit but no pools of oil in there. I do hear a noise when it misses that almost sounds like a ping, but its not loud enough to be certain. I guess i can pull the o2 sensor and see if thats helps but i dont see any of the clogged cat symptons.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you should try the o2 thing. Can't hurt at least.

Also check your Plug wires thoroughly. I had a misfire appear out of nowhere in my '95 not long ago. It was so bad I thought I blew a head gasket and lost compression in one cylinder or something. Turned out to be a plug wire arcing out on the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Timothy Watrous
Professional

could be a dirty injector... occasionally getting clogged and causing a miss

Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

yeah tonight im going to mist everything down with water and run it to see if i see any "lightning". The only other thing i can think off is maybe my injectors are dirty or a leaking brake booster, but my brakes seem to operate just fine and i dont hear a leak.

Ohh an BTW it only seems to do it with a load on it. It may be doing it in park or nuetral but its to light to tell. Also when I changed the plugs they were all clean, no residue, so my plenum is not leaking very bad at all. And if i had a broken valve spring, cracked valve seat, or a sticking valve the compression test would have shown it right? or do i need to do a leakdown test?

Last edited by QuadCabLuv; 02-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Does it do it regardless of engine temp? Or, just when it's cold? Just when it has warmed up??

Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Engine temp does not seem to matter. If i dont find a leaking plug wire tonight then i am going to pull the injectors and check them. And the injectors on my motor are red, i have never seen factory red injectors. Should i suspect that these are aftermarket?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, the last few years (2001 for instance) had red injectors.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
No, the last few years (2001 for instance) had red injectors.
Good to know. I dont recall seing red injectors on my last 2001 though, but it was a 318. Maybe they were different.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

So i pulled a sample of fuel from my truck and its pretty yellow. looks a bit like mountain dew. So i hoping that this is all just bad gas. I took it on a short drive and ran it kinda hard and it was definitely pinging which will happen with bad gas. I wont know for sure though until i get some fresh gas. at least i only have 1/4 tank in it now.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Throw in some 89 octane, and a bottle of techron.

Quick Reply: Misfire, running out of ideas.