2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram 1500 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacman_777
Alright. So the large cable gets power. No doubt about it. Is the small brown/black wire the ground? Because its not getting any power and I think it's the cause at the pdc. But it just flows in from the wire casing to the box. Can't tell if its bad past that point...

OK. Go back and reread the previous posts, especially HeyYou's about jumping power (in park). Let us know what you find. Skipping over something just allows everyone to keep guessing with ittle information to base it o.

Last edited by gdstock; 02-08-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Pacman_777
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so, even if I were to spin the engine by jumping power. It doesn't solve the problem. The Small brown wire that has clips on both ends is not receiving power. Is there a way that the cable is just burned out somewhere and I can just replace it. Or is it not that simple? I have been trying the things you guys recommend on this post and appreciate the help. But as far as I can tell, this little wire is stopping me dead in my tracks.

Last edited by Pacman_777; 02-06-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The small wire to the start solenoid only gets power when the ignition switch is turned to the start position. If it isn't getting power then, you need to find out why. The ignition switch simply controls the starter relay. If you aren't hearing the relay click when you try and start, then either the ignition switch is bad, the relay is bad, or there is a problem between them.....

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Pacman_777
Amateur

The relay gets power. And the small wire does not get power. I'm just curious if the clip at the pdc where the small wire attaches to could burn out. Or if I shouldn't worry about that part and just find the wire. I am going to have to get it from a junk yard, so I only want to make one trip.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does the ignition switch ground the control circuit for the relay?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Pacman_777
Amateur

I'm honestly not sure what that means... If the ignition switch finishes the circuit and gets power to the pdc I think it does. But what am I looking for to see if the control circuit is finishing the spark? Electrical issues are my nemesis

Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Electrical is always fun.

Ok, digging thru the 01 manual, and looking at the digram, the ignition switch provides power on the control circuit for the starter relay. Yellow wire in the connector, cavity 1. (one of the corners. or end, if it's just a single layer in line.)

There is a bypass jumper in the wire where it would plug in to the clutch safety switch, on a truck with manual trans.

So, first, verify you are getting power OUT of the switch on that yellow wire. It that is ok, go to the PDC, yank the relay, have someone hit the key, and see if you are getting power there. If that is ok, verify continuity to ground on the "85" terminal of the relay socket. (numbers for which terminal is which will be on the bottom of the relay, just turn it over, and have a look.)

Seems the ground side of the control circuit goes to the neutral safety switch on the trans. A failure there would certainly give the problem you are seeing. Just need to make sure that IS the problem.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Pacman_777
Amateur

I'm getting power to the yellow cable off of the ignition switch. The starter relay pops when the ignition is hit. However I checked power in every port of starter relay and none of them responded to the voltmeter. If number 85 is ground, how to I continue that ground down to the nss? Or how do I replace the pdc?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you aren't getting power anywhere at the relay, there is your problem.... I think fuse 9 in the one in the side of the dash supplies power there.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Pacman_777
Amateur

If it were that easy I might have lost it. But that fuse was good and I replaced it with another new one just to be certain. No luck, didn't change the current situation. :/ if only this were simple... Alright so to recap, would the solenoid ground wire (#85) on the relay that connects to the solenoid wire. Is there a possibility that, that wire is the issue or something connected with it? And also I only got 4-5 volts off of the yellow wire, but I could only get it at the ignition relay below the steering column. I couldn't get anything at any other point the yellow wire was exposed. All of the ignition wires flow into a fuse or relay labeled (JD1914). And then flow out all together in a black cable.

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram 1500 won't turn over