2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0783 after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
shink5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Good job pricing kit from Cascade......but......did you check anywhere else? Get trans overhaul kit for that price elsewherem such as wittrans or PATC.

I would not touch anything on it...take it back to shop. Don;t give them a chance to use the "you voided the warranty" line! Suggest checking fluid level, warmed up, in NEUTRAL first. Most obvious free checks are often overlooked. Shop needs to see code (or they may not believe you....)
Ive checked the fluid level while warmed up and in neutral while on a level surface. That's why I'm trying to eliminate other causes per the diagnostic reference in the faq section and from what ive gathered online before I take it back to him.

The "shop" I had it rebuilt at is just an old timer with a lift in his garage. He is very well known around here and a lot of the dirt track and drag racers around here use him. For piece of mind I will discuss what my issues are with him before I start doing anything.

I just like to be informed on these situations when they arise. That and I don't sleep we'll when there is something wrong with one of my vehicles so I spend most of the night researching.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you downloaded the service manual from here? If not, I would recommend doing that as well, and printing out the tranmission section for reference. Even take the copy to him as it may help him understand exactly what is happening. When I work on something (family members with car troubles can wear you out) I want to actually be able to see what the code is as I have been told one thing to only find out later that they were mistaken.

If he is a reputable guy, he will want to make it right. But nothing wrong with dong the research ahead of time, and allowing to engage in a conversation with him with some understanding.

keep us posted on results. And I loose sleep as well!

Last edited by gdstock; 02-12-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
shink5.2

Quick update. Crawled under the truck today and the sensor on the Trans needs to be replaced. I'm pretty sure it wasn't replaced in the rebuild. It looked old, also the female end of the connector part wiggled a lot. Had to order one cause auto zone was fresh out. Also gonna replace the sensor on the rear diff. It spun freely and came apart. Waiting on that part as well. Hope this fixes my issue!!

Last edited by shink5.2; 02-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by shink5.2
Quick update. Crawled under the truck today and the sensor on the Trans needs to be replaced. I'm pretty sure it wasn't replaced in the rebuild. It looked old, also the female end of the connector part wiggled a lot. Had to order one cause auto zone was fresh out. Also gonna replace the sensor on the rear diff. It spun freely and came apart. Waiting on that part as well. Hope this fixes my issue!!

If that does it, you are lucky...and I would take luck any day.

Hope that does it!

Last edited by gdstock; 02-12-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
shink5.2

Originally Posted by gdstock
If that does it, you are lucky...an I would take luck any day.

Hope that does it!
I know!! I wondering that since that sensor was not replaced if the governor selinoid was replaced either. I guess we'll see.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM
shink5.2

Replaced the sensor on the Trans and the rear diff and nothing. Called the rebuilder he gave me a few things to check. I'll get to that when I get a chance. He said it could be the obvious things such as the sensor or solenoid or just a glitch somewhere between the Trans and PCM. He said if he could find what is wrong with it and its from his work he'll make it right. I just gotta get the truck over to him. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

Also, if it is the solenoid or sensor, does anyone know what might have caused them to go out so soon??

Last edited by shink5.2; 02-12-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,294 Likes on 3,041 Posts

Wouldn't be the first time a new part failed.... It happens.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wouldn't be the first time a new part failed.... It happens.

And would not be the first time a rebuild did not include all the parts necessary.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM
shink5.2

He went through his notes on my build and per his notes everything was replaced except the sensor on the tail of the Trans. I still have faith in him and that he'll make this right

Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM
gdstock
Legend

There is a way to improperly install one of the sensors (can't remember which one) and not be aware of it. It either lets it sit too deep or not seep enough. SImple enough mistake to make. May have him check that. It would be a fast fix if that is it.

Quick Reply: P0783 after rebuild