2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sloppy Steering Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sloppy Steering Fix?

Found this on Craigslist this morning. I have never heard of a 'solution' like this and I thought I would run it by you guys for judgement.

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/ptd/3567999022.html

I personally don't need one, but it's intriguing enough for me to wonder if it's a real solution to a problem a lot of us have. I'm inclined to believe that a bracket and kit like this...which looks professionally done...would not be worth the effort as a scam.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

On a street driven vehicle, that would actually be a good thing to have..... but, on a truck, it can put undue side loads on the pitman (sector?) shaft and bearing out on the trail. Dodge Off-Road makes one that isn't tied across the frame, and eliminates that potential pitfall.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen these discussed before, with very mixed reviews. Maybe search for "steering brace" on here. I'd be more inclined to try the rock solid ram steering fix before this one. I've also heard this cross brace thing won't work with some lifts

Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Grolli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this exact one on mine. Came with it. Seems to help. The only problem is, when I replaced my steering box, the extension for the pitman goes through the bearing was rusted tight. I had to get creative to remove the entire assembly. Just food for thought.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to what hey you said.

The dodge off road one is the one you wanna get.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On a street driven vehicle, that would actually be a good thing to have..... but, on a truck, it can put undue side loads on the pitman (sector?) shaft and bearing out on the trail. Dodge Off-Road makes one that isn't tied across the frame, and eliminates that potential pitfall.

Sounds interesting...got a link?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made a thread about this a few weeks back. There was a lot of theory thrown around but very few real life testimonials. These brackets are a fix solely for the lateral movement of the pitman shaft when the steering wheel is turned. There are a bunch of copies of this type of support available out there with slightly different design aspects such as the center support being a tube cross section rather than an angle iron sort. I have since ordered the http://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com version and will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

These supports do in fact incorperate a self-aligning bearing that will compensate for the relative movement of the frame rails under load. I chose the http://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com support over a boxed cross section support hoping that it will actually flex and twist more with the truck rather than trying to stiffen the frame (which should never be the purpose of a support like this). With a boxed section, my theory is that the the stabilizer will be too rigid and failure will occur at the thinnest section of the bracket (ie. the mounting points).

I will try to give a review of this support when I pick it up. The DOR support looks best suited for hardcore offroaders. Since I am not, and the other support was nearly half the cost, I chose it.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Big White Farm Truck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on my truck that is similar, mine came from Geno's Garage. I could tell a big difference when I installed it. The main idea is it supports the steering box and wont allow it to move.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
Sounds interesting...got a link?
Have a look here.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
I've seen these discussed before, with very mixed reviews. Maybe search for "steering brace" on here. I'd be more inclined to try the rock solid ram steering fix before this one. I've also heard this cross brace thing won't work with some lifts
Ram Rock Solid Steering fix will resolve the "clunking" in the column very well, which is what it was designed for. It will not fis sloppy steering caused by other wear and falures.

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
+1 to what hey you said.
The dodge off road one is the one you wanna get.
Make that +2!

Quick Reply: Sloppy Steering Fix?