2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
2001SLT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toyo tires say its the cold max showing on the sidewall

not to highjack but reading your posts, im suppose to run 41psi(doorjam) made for stock tires for my new toyo m55 12ply that the max is 80psi. I dont think so.
i have talk to tire reps they say run them close to max to get less heat and less wear so i run 75cold. the doorjam was for a softer ride i believe

Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
rickit
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
What color is your truck?
thats funny! i just bought this 01 friday and yesterday i ran it thru one of those quick oil change i had drove the truck 200 miles friday bringing it home it rode fine till i got the oil change, rode like crap bounced up and down when i applyed brakes they had inflated my tires to 65 psi thats what it marked on tires i let it out to 35 and its fine now i was just wondering if 35 was ok?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rickit
thats funny! i just bought this 01 friday and yesterday i ran it thru one of those quick oil change i had drove the truck 200 miles friday bringing it home it rode fine till i got the oil change, rode like crap bounced up and down when i applyed brakes they had inflated my tires to 65 psi thats what it marked on tires i let it out to 35 and its fine now i was just wondering if 35 was ok?

That is why there is a range specified for each type and size tire. But the higher the pressure, the rougher the ride. If 35 is in the range stamped on tire, you shouldbe good. But check it out.

Last edited by gdstock; 02-10-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

This truck? PCJ code, Dark blue Pearl,Mopar dropped the pearl to make Patriot Blue.The paint is PPG with 2021 clearcoat.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock

the sticker on the door jam is ONLY for the type and size tire....described on door jamb. In other words, OEM tires. Since OP is going to a different size/type of tire, it is NOT necessarily appropriate for his new tires!

And my tires list Min and Max tire pressure range...on all of my vehicles.
So what your saying is because my tires say max 80 psi cold I should pump them up to 80 psi and run them there all the the time? Because the max psi rating is for when you have large loads in your truck. The sticker on my door says 50 psi so that's where the tires are put. When I load my truck I increase the pressure. As stated earlier you don't increase the pressure with larger tires, it just takes more air to get to the vehicle specified tire pressure.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

PSI = Pounds per Square Inch.
Bigger/wider tyre = more Square Inches = less pressure to support the same number of Pounds weight.
More weight in payload means more PSI needed to support it.

The 35/50psi range on the door jam is for empty to rated max payload for the vehicle on standard tyres... change to bigger tyres and it doesn't apply.
The sidewall Max is the maximum that tyre is rated for, as the tyre manufacture has no idea what vehicle you're putting it on... it is not an operational recommendation for your vehicle, it is just a do not exceed pressure.

In the long term, tyre wear is the best indication as to whether or not you've been using the correct inflation.
Bald down the middle would suggest over inflated.
Bald on the shoulders would suggest under inflated.

Last edited by Spillage; 02-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
So what your saying is because my tires say max 80 psi cold I should pump them up to 80 psi and run them there all the the time? Because the max psi rating is for when you have large loads in your truck. The sticker on my door says 50 psi so that's where the tires are put. When I load my truck I increase the pressure. As stated earlier you don't increase the pressure with larger tires, it just takes more air to get to the vehicle specified tire pressure.

Not necessarily. Just don't exceed that

Ignore the door sticker unless you are running original type and size tire. That is waht was on the truck when the sticker was put on. Sticker doesn't know what may be on your truck now.

Look at sidewall of tire. It should show a minimum tire pressure as well as the max Pick something between these numbers. Don;t run low, casued excessive tire wear. Don't run over the max pressure, causes eces tire wear, and the hgher the pressure, the rougher the ride.

30-35 is a normal range for most standard tires, unless higher load range or high speed range.

Last edited by gdstock; 02-10-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run 40psi in all 4 of my 285/75/16E's i hang 800#'s off the front during the winter, and occasionally tow, and haul things. i never exceed 40psi EVER, and the truck does great!

obviously the pressure goes up as the tire heats up. but i never put more than 40psi in them.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM
petea216
Professional

Running the tires at the MAX PSI as stated on the side of the tire (example 80 PSI) when the door says to run them at 50 PSI will prematurely wear the tires out in the middle.
Name:  tirewear.gif
Views: 2235
Size:  16.3 KB

As argued earlier, PSI = Pounds per square inch. So the amount of weight that will be on the tire divided by the cubic inches inside the tire will equal the PSI you should run. SO... if you are running BIGGER tires with more square inches inside, LESS pressure will be required to achieve the same goal. I run 30 PSI in the front and 28 PSI in the rear with my 37's. It seemed to be the magic numbers to get them to ride and wear properly.

Last edited by petea216; 02-11-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Oh for pete's sake! if you have a white truck use fancy calculation..weight divided by cubic inches etc,etc....keep a calculator in glove box along with tire pressure gauge. For all other colored trucks..get magnifying glass and read min/max tire pressure ratings on sidewall of tire and use common sense. Rotate and watch tire wear.

Quick Reply: what tire pressure