2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

If the plenum is indeed blown, you are probably burning oil as well..... and your O2 sensors really don't like that. Neither does the cat......

If you are talented, you can just cut the 'nipple' off the end of the stock bolts. I can't seem to find the spec on just what size they are..... when you have it apart, you could always take one to the hardware store, and get some that are 1/8th inch shorter..... or, just use some washers....

Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you may not need spark plugs. i would maybe check them and make sure they are burning clean. if they look good i would gap them and stick them back in.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM
MHell2k13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aight I will do all of that. What's your opinion on the copper permatex stuff? I have talked to quite a few reputable mechanics and every single one has suggested shorter bolts and felpro gaskets. I will use that stuff along with it.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I didn't use any sealer on mine. (fel pro gasket) that was over a year ago, still squeaky clean in there. In fact, Hughes even Stated NOT to use sealer.... Not sure what their reasoning is there.... maybe they are aware that laying an even bead is tough... and didn't want the sealer to be to thick in some places, too thin in others, leaving a potential leak.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

some of the oil you are seeing in the intake could be coming from the pcv valve. from the pcv valve it is sucked right into the engine if you don't install something to stop it.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
some of the oil you are seeing in the intake could be coming from the pcv valve. from the pcv valve it is sucked right into the engine if you don't install something to stop it.
If you have the correct flow rate PCV valve, and it's actually functioning as it should..... oil suckage is minimal.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i installed a oil/water separator in my pcv line in hopes of making sure there is 0 oil where it should not be. cost about $20

Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your keg will look like some of these!!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-post-up.html

Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Boatdaddy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolts you need are just plain 1/4-20 X .75". I made a plate here at the shop out of aluminum only because I have a whole cnc shop at my disposal. Had I not, I would have no issue using Three Bond or any other high quality gasket maker with the steel pan. I have another intake I just powdercoated to sell, and that one will get the old plate with new gasket and shorter bolts. I think either method addresses the issue just fine.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
There is more than one way to fix a leaky plenum besides buying a plate... You seem to get all pissy when it gets mentioned around here.. It is the cause of alot of problems.. And it is worth the time to just fix and not have to worry about it again.

You don't have to tell me about the plenum gasket issues lol I will be fixing my 9th different Magnum engine plenum plate on saturday, they've kept food in my mouth,beer in my glass and gas in my tank fixing them off and on over the past 2 years . I actually don't get pissy, its always a safe bet to assume somebody is pissy over the net but not the case, I just have a hard time promoting the needless waste of $119 for the plenum plate kit or if you want to isolate the parts list $50 for the plate itself when that cash could be put to better use on a complete tune up that will actually make a difference in the way the truck runs. Because I stand strong in my opinions I may come off pissy but I'm actually pretty nice

I always bring up the copper permatex method up in plenum talk because I want it recognized as a viable solution/alternative to buying needless expensive parts. On Dodge Neon's they didn't fix the head gasket issue by recalling the car & giving it an aluminum engine block, they fixed the gasket by making it a multi layer and kept the steel block and aluminum head, same principal here, make the gasket better and issue solved.

I want to first say that Hughes is a good company and that the aluminum plate DOES help reduce the gasket deflection, its nice if you can get it cheap enough but I've still heard of and seen some that have blown even with the aluminum plate though not as common as their steel counterparts. If I had one I'd still permatex the aluminum plate (which kinda defeats the purpose of having one anyway) because I'm a believer that the gasket itself is as much of a problem as the steel plate by itself is, because its not dynamic enough to deal with those forces at hand. I have a feeling a lot of guys aren't going to admit or suspect their plenum gasket is going out after shelling out $120+ shipping to "fix" the problem.

I changed my plenum gasket,bypass hose,thermostat & did a complete tune up on my truck with all new parts for $86. The Hughes kit alone is $119 before you've done your tune up, to put things into perspective.

I will probably get tarred & feathered for this but I would put the aluminum plenum plate into the cold air intake and throttle body spacer category because of its cost to benefit ratio.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-14-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Plenum question