2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MHell2k13
Alright I love the responses thank you!! The copper permatex sounds great. What are the other opinions? Really the reason why I wanted to do the Plenum is because of the terrible gas mileage. I talked to my very trusted exhaust mechanic about the signs of a clogged cat and he says it should be hard to get over 15 mph and pass people. I'm am nowhere near that. And can sOmeOne gI've me a better idea of what spark knock sounds like? I'm not so sure I have it. Is it possible that just my o2 sensor could go bad? I am getting may e 8 mpg right now and it's extremely annoying . I just naturally blamed it on the plenum and I know this sounds stupid but I think I kind of imagined the other symptoms. So now what I want to do is:
1. Rotor
2. Dis. Cap
3. Sparks
4. Copper whatever gasket seal and felpro gasket and special bolts ( where would I get those)
5. New 02 sensors
What does every body think? I really want to get some of this main mait. Out of the way for a while so I can focus on leveling kit and new tires
Copper Permatex can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $6-$7.

As for your o2 sensors, I would wait till you fix your plenum and do the tune up before buying those and see how your truck runs,they may be perfectly fine. If it throws an o2 code Reset the computer and if the engine light comes on after 200 miles of driving. If an o2 code pops up after 200 miles then the o2's probably need to be changed. My o2 sensors were fine after my plenum & tune up. Most expensive things always try to save for last resort fix if possible

O'Reillys probably has the cheapest intake & Plenum gasket set at $21 and comes with the cork front & back intake seals, if you prefer rubber its $27 for the gaskets, I like the cork just fine and I slap permatex on those too! just to make sure it seals . **Be sure to make O'Reillys double check that they have the $21 felpro gasket set, as they usually try to pass the $27 kit off as their only set, unless you tell them you know about their cheaper set. But its up to you what you want for the front & rear intake seals if you want them to be rubber or cork, thats the only difference in the kits as both are Felpro kits. The copper permatex is applied to both sides of the felpro plenum gasket that comes with your felpro set, I usually apply the permatex on the intake first, then apply the gasket, then apply the copper permatex to the bottom of the gasket and then finally place the plate on top of that sandwich & bolt up in the correct torque sequence. You want a nice layer of permatex but not enough to glob out in big chunks once you torque the bolts, a thin layer thats thick enough so you cannot see through usually works best, applied with your finger. Think of it as putting mayo on both sides of your hamburger bun, and the gasket is the meat lol.

O'Reillys also has the cheapest brass tipped dist cap & rotor compared to Auto Zone and the rest. Advanced Auto has the cheapest Thermostats. Some online checking around will ensure the auto stores in your area give you the best prices. I saved myself like $35 by going to 4 different parts stores, Napa,O'Reillys,Advanced Auto & Auto Zone.

Napa should have the cheapest plug wires for around $22 (Mileage Plus I think they're called)

As for the bolts, you can shave a little bit of the tips off on a grinding wheel if you have a grinding wheel, Harbor Freight sells cheap grinding wheels if you need to buy one, either that or go to an Ace Hardware to find bolts of any size and any grade.

Anyway go to the parts stores online first before you walk in to buy so you can check if my prices are still within range for your area Plus it saves gas and time just going in to get what you need at each place.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-14-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

If the truck is over about 80K miles, it's time for new O2's anyway. I don't bother with the post cat O2, I don't really care if it reacts slowly, the pre-cat though... that one I want to be SURE it is functioning properly.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
MHell2k13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that sounds good. Is it the pre cat left or right o2 on the 1996 ram? and how hard is it to put in a new PCV valve incase mine is letting out too much oil? so far my new list is
dist. caps
rotor
spark wires
spark plugs
plenum gasket
permatex
50 dollar plate off ebay
pre cat o2 sensor
so the bolts that hold on the belly plate are the ones that need to be replaced with ones from ace correct?
i was also wondering what the air hose going into the right valve cover is and the little housing it goes into before going into the valve cover. That little housing is very loose and i was wondering if that would cause a vacuum leak and possibly problems. I noticed it when i was taking of the filter housing.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the ebay plate comes with new plate bolts. you would need new intake manifold bolts. you may be able to order most of the stuff you need from rockauto for cheaper than you can locally if you can get everything shipped from 1 place.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok that sounds good. Is it the pre cat left or right o2 on the 1996 ram? and how hard is it to put in a new PCV valve incase mine is letting out too much oil? so far my new list is
dist. caps
rotor
spark wires
spark plugs
plenum gasket
permatex
50 dollar plate off ebay
pre cat o2 sensor
so the bolts that hold on the belly plate are the ones that need to be replaced with ones from ace correct?
i was also wondering what the air hose going into the right valve cover is and the little housing it goes into before going into the valve cover. That little housing is very loose and i was wondering if that would cause a vacuum leak and possibly problems. I noticed it when i was taking of the filter housing.
You should have a vent hose going from the air cleaner into the VC, then on the other side you'll have a PCV hose going from the valve cover into the intake manifold.

Orientation varies on the year.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 AM
ReadRam
All Star

dist. caps
rotor
spark wires
spark plugs
plenum gasket
permatex
50 dollar plate off ebay
pre cat o2 sensor
The bolts just need to be shorter if just replacing the gasket with out aluminum plate.
get new PCV valve from dealer for correct flow rate and very easy to replace..the hose fromV Cover to air filter housing is the breather and hose, probably from pass side VC to intake manifold is the PCV. The pre-cat 02 is right before the cat and there is only one, no right or left. Go with brass on dist cap. Good luck with all.

Last edited by ReadRam; 02-16-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

In some parts catalogs, the pre-cat O2 is indeed listed as "right side". Cali emissions trucks have the left one as well.... probably the only difference in them is the length of the pigtail.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM
MHell2k13
Professional

So I looked under my truck after my y pipe before my muffler there is no bulge of a cat... It's just straight 2.5 piping. So clearly I have no cat I guess. Is that going to effect my o2!sensors and gas mileage?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yes. No.

Are you getting a CEL for catalyst efficiency? If not, don't worry about it.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM
MHell2k13
Professional

No my check engine light isn't on. So I have a Bosch o2 sensor on the way, pre cat. Ok so I understand that the the bolts that hold on the plenum plate need replacing, but what about the bolts that actually bolt on the kegger?

Quick Reply: Plenum question