2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 44" tires 15" lift help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM
bignbetter85
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Ram 1500 44" tires 15" lift help

A few things i wanna get out of the way before i start.
I know my tire/lift choices are not practical for a daily driver. Ive read all the smart comments from "haters" as they like to call them as to why its stupid to run 44 inch tires on the street as a dd. Yes its a waste of money. I promise ive heard/read it all so unless its a serious answer related to the problem, please dont waste your energy typing it. Why do i do it? Because i want to. I dont rag on you for not being able to afford to put anything bigger than 35's on your vehicle so please show me the same respect. Now that we have that out of the way....ill begin. (Thank you in advance to all the serious responses i may get. im very appreciative i just wanted to weed out the useless information from the trollers that frequent the auto forums.)

I guess ill start with basic truck description and then elaborate more as i get responses. The truck is a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport. It has a 12 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body lift. I had previously ran the original Dick Cepek Fun Country tires which were 44x18.50-15's on MT Classic II wheels. I have driven the truck for over a year with almost no problems (at least nothing uncommon for running 44 inch tires on the street). I have extensive experience with the truck as it has been my daily driver for a long time. I recently ordered a set of 44x19.50-20 Pitbull Rockers as well as 20x12 Fuel Throttle wheels and had them put on the truck today. The truck drove incredibly smooth at all speeds up to 65 mph ALL DAY LONG. So smooth actually it made the truck ride better than the FC's ever did and i was shocked at this. The truck sat for several hours at some points, tires flat spotted of course, but the flat spots were gone after driving it for about a mile. Minimal wandering, minimal vibration, and minimal bouncing. Yes there was some but again, expected to have some from a truck this size. The crazy part was that i was expecting the ride to be MUCH worse as the wheels are much heavier than the 15's i previously had on it and the rockers are much more aggressive than the FC's i had on it previously. It was actually the complete opposite for the entire day.

Here's where the fun part begins. I parked the truck at home for maybe an hour before heading to my girlfriend's house. I get in the truck and drive down the road and notice it is riding like absolute s*** again. It began to wander terribly in the road, began to bounce at about 22 on my speedometer which is around 40 mph which seemed to originate from the rear and felt like riding a horse, and it was almost as if the front end was shifting side to side independently under the truck every time it began wandering and catching grooves in the road. The steering was the most noticable. It has always grabbed grooves in the road even when it was riding amazing today. Again this was expected. What im curious about is why the truck randomly, after sitting for a very short period of time, all the sudden went to hell in a handbasket. It was an instant difference from when i parked it to when i got back in it. So bad i noticed just backing out of the driveway.

I havent had time to look at as closely as i would like yet but any ideas as to what could possibly have gone wrong while it sat? Ive read up on death wobble, bouncing "like a horse", wandering in the road, and pretty much anything that has to do with sloppy handling and sloppy ride in a 2nd gen dodge.

Again, im aware of many things that can go wrong while driving it but it was dramatically altered before i put any serious strain on the truck. I appreciate any ideas. Hopefully when its daylight i will be able to see some obvious problems but i have a feeling that's not going to be the case. Ive looked up all kinds of responses and complaints and honestly there are so many different responses and solutions it seems like nobody knows and everyone just throws their opinion out there as fact without knowing for sure. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Ram 1500 44" tires 15" lift help-trucl.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jerry Leas (03-10-2020)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM
bignbetter85

And i know youre gonna need to know more information such as type of suspension, motor, gears, etc....ill answer as they come

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Answer as they come? How about providing it up front? You'd better have some good gears in that truck... does it still have the stock front axle, a Dana 44? If so, that axle will not hold up to those size of tires on the 2nd Gen Rams.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

Moving you now.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

It almost sounds like a balancing issue.
I had a similar, although to a much lesser degree, issue with my tires for almost a year. Could not get them balanced right.

Is is possible a wheel weight could have fallen off? Yes, I know the truck was sitting, but if sticky weights were used, one could have fallen off.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
bigblueownerjon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it could be balancing cus the huge tire anything thats off would be made bigger

Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
bigblueownerjon

awsome truck tho

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ride difference from the 15s to the 20s makes complete sense. You have less sidewall, moreover stiffer ones at that. This gives the more dramatic change in the ride feel.

The flat spotting from sitting, as you noted, is expected and also would not be a surprise at contributing to the out of balance type feel that you are now having an issue with. I'm going to assume you have not gone to 1-ton steering, which would also be a contributor to the problem. It doesn't take much for a low frequency deflection to have a devastating impact on the system no matter how "careful" one is.

All the usual suspects need to be checked out, balancing, alignment, trackbar, TREs, caster, etc.

Lastly, provide more information about your setup now, otherwise it will be easier for the non-helpful comments to come.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Using balancing beads in your tires?

Still running the stock axles? What ya got for shocks? How tall are the rear blocks?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also you have roughly increased the weight per wheel/tire combo by about 12 lbs.

Bias PBR 44x19.5x20 = 141 lbs

Can't find the DC weight as looks discontinued so comparable Bias PBR 44x19.5x15 = 146 lbs

MT Classic II 15x10 wheel = 20 lbs.

20x12 Fuel wheel = 37 lbs.

Were the DCs bias or radial?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

I am assuming you used beads in the tries and they are clumped or frozen together

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 44" tires 15" lift help