2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel pump/filter OK?

My 98 Ram was doing stupid things past couple weeks, today it left me stranded. Had it towed to a shop and pump replaced. Runs like a top now.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:34 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I put my fuel pressure tester on there and it holds 48-50psi driving.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

any news?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After reading the thread, I agree it's being choked off by a too small TB and a tight exhaust system.

Headers need to be a minimum of 1 3/4" primaries for a 408 and a minimum of 3" cat back, IMHO. Factory y pipe is a massive restriction if you aren't running true duals. Look to that first.

If the TB was enlarged but the exhaust wasn't, you didn't really "diagnose" anything. You could have twin 100mm TB plates and it wouldn't matter if you can't get the exhaust out.

The other problem is the 94 PCM. really hard to tune those, only B&G Chrysler really had the tools to do that, but it was sketchy at best. They've recently partnered with Arrington performance, so hopefully it's improved some.

Barring their solution, matching of complimentary parts is critical. Basically, you need to upsize the injectors, TB, cam, and exhaust proportionally so it appears to the pcm that everything is within stock specs for the fueling and timing needs. Not an easy task.

Excessively lean can really cause damage, but too fat will cost you power as well. Maybe a pull or two on a dyno with a tall pipe sniffer would be worthwhile investment.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 03-02-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
After reading the thread, I agree it's being choked off by a too small TB and a tight exhaust system.

Headers need to be a minimum of 1 3/4" primaries for a 408 and a minimum of 3" cat back, IMHO. Factory y pipe is a massive restriction if you aren't running true duals. Look to that first.

If the TB was enlarged but the exhaust wasn't, you didn't really "diagnose" anything. You could have twin 100mm TB plates and it wouldn't matter if you can't get the exhaust out.

The other problem is the 94 PCM. really hard to tune those, only B&G Chrysler really had the tools to do that, but it was sketchy at best. They've recently partnered with Arrington performance, so hopefully it's improved some.

Barring their solution, matching of complimentary parts is critical. Basically, you need to upsize the injectors, TB, cam, and exhaust proportionally so it appears to the pcm that everything is within stock specs for the fueling and timing needs. Not an easy task.

Excessively lean can really cause damage, but too fat will cost you power as well. Maybe a pull or two on a dyno with a tall pipe sniffer would be worthwhile investment.
It's a 96 so it's obd2...if it was some sort of restriction it wouldn't go away every now and then...i figure it's some sort of sensor issue at this point...I haven't had any one available to give me a hand reading the data while I'm driving.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My bad, nor sure where i gleaned 94' from.

check the coolant temp sensor information, it'll pull timing if reading hot. I recall there being some debate about the accuracy of the coolant readings with the air gap manifold. The deck where the coolant sensor goes into the water jacket was so thick, barely any of the probe was sticking into the coolant stream.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

Coolant reads 185-190 degrees

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

That's what the gauge says.... whether that is what the PCM thinks is open to question, it uses a different sensor than the gauge. Need a scanner to see what the PCM is basing it's stuff on.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

I have a snap on scanner! I can see what the PCM see's. and one sensor shows 185 degrees and the other shows 190 degrees.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

Last edited by mrfarrell; 03-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 408 stroker issues