2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 PU / Control Arm Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
NHWayne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 PU / Control Arm Brackets

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup 4x4. It's a standard 1/2 ton, with a 318 V-8 engine. I use it primarily when I go hunting and will take it off road to travel up logging roads and trails. I don't tend to abuse the truck, but would rather take a nice slow ride.

A couple months ago during the annual safety check it was revealed that the upper and lower control arm brackets, on both sides, are rotted out. The control arms themselves are in good shape. The axle, which is a Dana 44 with a 3.55 ratio, is in very good shape. The passenger side is worse than the driver in that it's broken. The driver side hasn't broken yet, but is on the verge.

I talked to my mechanic and he explained that they don't just make the brackets for this year and I would need to replace the whole axle. Which, to me, seems like major overkill for a few brackets. I started searching around and to my surprise I can't find them. So I decided to bring it to a welder and see if he can fabricate them. When I got the estimate back it was $2400. I can buy a used axle for around $1000.

Today I called the dealer and explained my situation to one of their mechanics who was very surprised. He hadn't heard of an issue where these brackets have rusted away. He previously encountered situations where a person has broken them, usually at the weld, off-roading. He explained that these brackets are generally designed to be rugged and take some abuse, are made of a good thick steel and aren't known to do this. He was also surprised that the brackets aren't available. I had him check on the price of a new oem axle and he told me flat out not to buy it from them. Then he about chocked when he saw the price of $4800 for one.

He told me to check online and see if I can find an aftermarket source that would sell them. I explained that I had already done that but was unable to do so. He then said that a lot of off road enthusiasts like the late 90's and early 2000 year trucks to do off-roading and when they install some of these lift kits, they have to replace some of the brackets.

So I come to you. Does anyone know of an aftermarket dealer that would sell the control arm brackets for both sides, upper and lower, for a 1997 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4 Pick-Up? It has the 318L V-8. The front axle has 3.55 gear ratio and is called a Dana 44, which is pretty standard.

Thanks for your time!

Wayne

Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Your best bet might be going to a junkyard and finding a good set to cut off and weld into your truck.. I dont think there is much aftermarket for that kind of part.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Photos would help...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:40 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately that is considered part of the housing and no aftermarket source. Good news is complete 2nd gen dana 44's can be had cheap on craigslist, at least in my area. See them go for $200 WMS to WMS. Hell I picked up a 60 for $275. And that is some thick steel to rot out, would like to see some pics.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NHWayne
A couple months ago during the annual safety check it was revealed that the upper and lower control arm brackets, on both sides, are rotted out. The control arms themselves are in good shape. The axle, which is a Dana 44 with a 3.55 ratio, is in very good shape. The passenger side is worse than the driver in that it's broken. The driver side hasn't broken yet, but is on the verge.

So I decided to bring it to a welder and see if he can fabricate them. When I got the estimate back it was $2400. I can buy a used axle for around $1000.

Wayne --

Where are you located? Indeed take some pictures showing the condition. Upload them to a photosharing site such as photobucket.com, picassa, imageshack, etc. They will give you a URL per image. Paste that URL here. Only saying this if you don't know.

I'm totally shocked about the quote from the welder/fabricator.

Perhaps it just looks bad and cleaning up with a wire wheel may help so that you can see where the intact metal is.

Originally Posted by newman1367
Unfortunately that is considered part of the housing and no aftermarket source. Good news is complete 2nd gen dana 44's can be had cheap on craigslist, at least in my area. See them go for $200 WMS to WMS. Hell I picked up a 60 for $275. And that is some thick steel to rot out, would like to see some pics.

^This is a great option.

Going to a junkyard to cut them off may be difficult. You'd maybe have to disconnect the axle yourself, which can be a real long day, especially if a the control arm bolts don't cooperate. Typically you can't bring power tools other than battery powered, nor flammables. Some do allow though.

Hopefully you report back as other would definitely like to know their options on this, especially those in the salt states.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM
NHWayne

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Your best bet might be going to a junkyard and finding a good set to cut off and weld into your truck.. I dont think there is much aftermarket for that kind of part.
I considered this and it may not be an option. Where these brackets may be part of the axle and no aftermarket parts available a junk yard may be very reluctant to allow me the option.

Originally Posted by newman1367
I will try and get pictures. I live in New Hampshire and this time of year is very snowy or mushy because the snow is melting. You really can take my word for it, they have pretty much rusted and broke.

I have been checking craigslist and in this part of the country 4x4's are a commodity and are eaten up by enthusiasts or unlucky souls, like me, who are looking for parts.

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I'm totally shocked about the quote from the welder/fabricator.
You weren't the only one !!! I was on vacation in Maine with the family when that call came in. When I brought him the truck and the guy was yeah those look fairly easy and should be about $500-$600. I walked away happy with that. Then he called me and explained that he just did a truck that snapped one side while plowing and he is charging that guy $1200 for one side because of the intensity of the labor and how difficult the fabrication was. So that would mean $1200 a side for me. I'm just glad that he didn't start on my truck and had the sense to call me before he did the work.

Again, thanks for the replies and I will work on those pics!

Wayne

PS:
I'm sorry Mr Moderator! I will endeavor to read before posting in the future.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Jacksoncove
Rookie

Jason enlighten me what did he do wrong
Thanks

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 PU / Control Arm Brackets