2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this bad? Gasket leak? Or?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this bad? Gasket leak? Or?

Well, I had the TB off to clean it some, and took a look into the keg, Heres what I found, Normal? Bad?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Do you have the other symptoms....use excessive oil, ping/clatter underload, no power. Your going to get some oily residue buildup in there from pcv. Use a small mirror and flashlight to look in corners, especially toward firewall. Read plenum sticky top of the forum.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Do you have the other symptoms....use excessive oil, ping/clatter underload, no power. Your going to get some oily residue buildup in there from pcv. Use a small mirror and flashlight to look in corners, especially toward firewall. Read plenum sticky top of the forum.

+1 on everything ReadRam stated. Routing changing of PCV is advised, but to really see well enough, gotta pull TB off to see better.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM
tylarkin
Amateur

mine looks very similar however i actually have a puddle of oil inside. im thinking the plenum gasket is gasket is gone? i was afraid to ask. people seem to get annoyed with plenum questions. i did read the stickey. another question i have is how bad is it to run it like that for the next week or 2? i gotta wait till payday to order the kit from huges but i gotta get to work.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Just watch your oil level. If oil is pooling in the intake, then plenum is most certainly blown.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tylarkin
mine looks very similar however i actually have a puddle of oil inside. im thinking the plenum gasket is gasket is gone? i was afraid to ask. people seem to get annoyed with plenum questions. i did read the stickey. another question i have is how bad is it to run it like that for the next week or 2? i gotta wait till payday to order the kit from huges but i gotta get to work.

Another week or so is fine. Because you'll still need to replace the o2's and cat.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 PM
tylarkin
Amateur

thanks guys!! not looking forward to doing the plenum job but hopefully i can knock it out in a day or 2.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't ignore the cat and o2's. If your plenum is shot , so is the cat and o2's.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tylarkin

For the most part, most of us recognize that this is a real problme, and it is a problme more times than it is not. That being said, there are one or two that get their panties in a wad when someone reocommneds checking the plenum. Not to worry, But if someone said their truck rode really smooth, and the tires looked a little low, i would probably tell them to check the tire pressure.

But the sticky is there with a lot of information, maybe too much info. But the man points have been covered here - check it correctly, O2 sensors and cat. DOn;t let it go very long, if cat is clogged it can lead to cracked head.

Quick Reply: Is this bad? Gasket leak? Or?