2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM
WilliamGordon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 1500 ISSUES

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum because we are having major problems with our Ram. I am posting this for my husband because he is out there trying to get it fixed. So i am really sorry if i dont use the correct terminology or have posted this wrong.....I appreciate all and any help you can offer......
THis is about a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4wd with a 318 in it
For the sake of disclosing everything, a couple of months ago we had a problem with the tuck not wanting to start, and idling rough when driving (tried to die when not pressing gas)The weather was COLD (for GA ne way) took it home, it warmed up a bit (the weather) and it didnt do it again. Thought it was a battery problem. A couple of weeks later the check gauges light came on and the battery gauge showed voltage spike (pinned the gauge all the way to the right). You could turn off the truck and it would restart and be fine. It did this three different times then never did it again. Werent sure if it was alternator or computer going haywire, but then it stopped, and it slipped form our minds again (bad, i know). Friday I went to get in it, and it had almost no brakes. The ABS light came on as well as the brake light. No CEL. I put brake fluid in it because its had a small leak in the rear passenger brake cylinder, but it didn't fix anything. Still no brake pressure and the lights still on. I went home, parked it, then later restarted it to take it to my husband to see if he could get it fixed, the brake lights were off but it was making a weird scrubbing noise. The scrubbng noise went on for a coupe mins then stopped. WHen it stopped the CEL light and check gauges light came on, as well as the O/D off light came on, and the battery amp gauge bottomed out. We figured it was the alternator. Took it to his work, he charged battery the rest of day (battery charger said battery is good) But at end of day truck wouldnt start. Was getting spark and gas. Started it with starter fluid, took it home. Took off alternator, had it tested (it was the scrubbing noise... guy said it was locked down when it ran volts through it, would spin when it was free but made the scrubbing sound), it was bad, bought a new one, as well as a brake cylinder came home, put them on and NOTHING. Wont start. I read there is an automatic shut off relay, we can hear it clicking when i try to start the truck. Switched relays with an identical one, still nada. He can hear the fuel pump kick on. It is getting fuel pressure on the rail, and its getting fire. He can get it to start with starter fluid, took it up to the auto parts store and it wont throw out a code (even though CEL is ON), we tried to get it to read on the odometer, it runs through a check, etc and then no code. On the way to the auto parts store ALL GAUGES QUIT WORKING but the lights would still come on... and the battery is not charging through the new alternator. Do you think we need a new PCM???ANY SUGGESTIONS??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Voltage regulator is in the PCM, if it fails, new PCM time. You are indeed having a host of electrical issues..... Check ALL grounds. Make sure they are clean and tight. Check connectors at the PCM as well, as they like to corrode, and cause some funky issues.

If you are getting spark, and hearing the fuel pump, then ASD relay isn't the problem.

Can you check fuel pressure?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:56 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ABS and brake light on with no brakes means a brake line is busted. Most likely the one along side the gas tank. But agreed, there are multiple issues .

Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM
WilliamGordon

I dont know if he can check fuel pressure or not. he ran to the store and i cannot ask him right this sec.... i will ask him when he gets back in a minute.
The brakes were not COMPLETELY gone... just had to press ALL the way to the floor to get them to do anything... usually they are really sensitive

Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
WilliamGordon

Ok he is back. He said the brake issue is resolved now...no ABS or brake light on. He said he would check the grounds and connectors going to the PCM and see if we can get it going. Thank you so much. We will let you know what else happens......

Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

So how was the no brakes issue fixed?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
WilliamGordon

He fixed brake problem by replacing the back brake cylinder. it had been leaking. sorry about not being clear on that.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
WilliamGordon

Well he checked the connectors into the PCM and on the very far passenger side on of the little prongs from the PCM had shorted out and was SOLDERED into the connector thing. IT smelled burnt and pulled the little wire from the PCM out when he took it off to check it. SOOO we are calling to get quotes for a new PCM and hope that the alternator did it when it went out... and its not something else thats gonna do it again :-/ I was gonna post a pic of it but i cannot figure out how to.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Well with the brake issue fixed. Lets move on. Assuming the battery is ok. Remove the negative battery cable and turn on the headlights for 15 seconds or so. Then , turn off the headlights and reconnect the terminal. Then do this as see what if any codes come up.

turn the key ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON without starting the engine.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ A prong came out of the PCM, that needs to be fixed first. Along with the "burnt smell", 99% chance you can't salvage the PCM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 ISSUES