2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blow up my Ram???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
gigamitch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow up my Ram???????

Ok, I'm right on the edge of unloading a full clip into this rebuilt tranny and walking away. This has been a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Started when my coolant lines were riding on a crossmember and rubbed a hole into one...leaked out the fluid and cooked the tranny. So not knowing anything about tranny's I pulled it out sent it to be rebuilt then put it back in. I flushed everything first but it didn't dawn on me to replace the torque converter so upon driving I discovered it wouldn't shift properly. So once again I pulled the tranny flushed it again and replaced the torque converter...this time I never even made it out of the driveway. It seems some freak occurance happened with the converter that tore up the front pump. So I ordered a new pump, pulled the tranny, flushed the tranny and installed the pump and once again didn't make it out of the driveway...it seems the pump was missing parts that I didn't notice. So yet again I pulled the tranny, repaired the pump and reinstalled. Then the friggin thing won't start...seems I bumped the crank position sensor this time, so I bought a new cps, installed it and the motor started. Success right...wrong! Now for some crazy reason the tranny won't come out of park! The shifter on the column moves as it should, the cable moves as it should, I pulled the pan and the park rod moves as it should. Even with the motor turned off the vehicle will not roll if you push it while the shifter is in neutral or any other position. I've called 4 tranny shops and none can answer this problem, Ive reached out to everyone I know and they know and none can answer this problem...please tell me that one of you at least has a direction to point me in. For reference it is a 2000 Ram 1500 automatic 4x4 with a 46re.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

By reinstalling the old torque converter, and then the subsequent pump failure, you have distributed a bunch of crap from the failed parts back thru your trans. It needs to come back apart, be completely gone thru, torque converter and probably the pump replaced again. Sorry man.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the troubles, but Im afraid HeyYou is probably right. Trans needs to come out and checked into. I feel your pain bud, but once you get her going, it will all be just a bad memory.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
gigamitch

I hear what you guys are saying and hope my opinion isn't jaded by my overwhelming disgust with this project but everything was flushed pretty well between disasters and the fluid drained from it now looks near spotless. I'm just trying to figure out what part could fail to cause this...I mean, it's mechanical (no hydraulics or power) since it won't even come out of park while the truck is turned off.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
moparsr2fast

Relayed your question to my stepdad who has been mopar mechanic forever. His answer : " The bore that the ball for the dent is worn. Need to grind an angle in the rooster comb at the park position." Greek to me, ut mayb you can make sene of it.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

It is impossible to clean all the crap out of a torque converter from a failed transmission, without cutting it open. Even your new one is going to have crap in it from the failed pump. Once you get the park problem sorted (gonna have to drop the pan, and have a look..... check the linkage inside the trans.) your trans may work.... but, I would never trust it.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
gigamitch

Good advice moparsr2fast, that's the kind of advice I needed...it's pretty much greek to me too but I do understand what he is saying...once this is solved then I can worry about any junk leftover. Thanks

Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM
moparsr2fast

Hope it is indeed the issue gigamitch. He is a darn good mechanic.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by moparsr2fast
Relayed your question to my stepdad who has been mopar mechanic forever. His answer : " The bore that the ball for the dent is worn. Need to grind an angle in the rooster comb at the park position." Greek to me, ut mayb you can make sene of it.
Da fuq????

Quick Reply: Blow up my Ram???????