2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power door lock question/help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM
mattk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power door lock question/help!

Ok so I just bought an '01 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 w/the 5.9. Here is my problem. The truck has keyless entry and the key fob does not work even with new batteries. I found out today that when I use the key in the drivers door to lock, the factory alarm does not arm and the red LED on the overhead console does not flash. The passenger side does not unlock/lock when I use the key in the drivers door. Now when I lock the passenger door with the key the system will arm and the LED on the overhead console will flash and the drivers side door will lock. While the system is armed if I go to the drivers door and unlock and open the door the alarm goes off and will only stop when I go back to the passenger door and use the key to unlock. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post and hope this all makes sense. I am at the end of my rope and have searched all over the net to find a solution. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Is that factory keyless entry/alarm?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
mattk
Amateur

Yes sorry forgot to mention that. It is all factory.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
2001SLT

i have the same problem on my 01, i wonder if it could be a broken wire to the key switch, or a worn out switch

Last edited by 2001SLT; 03-03-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I can't find anything in the wiring diagram that would indicate how the truck would know you unlocked it with the key.......

Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
mattk
Amateur

Took the door panel off today and found 2 wires going to the lock cylinder and another 2 wires going to the door latch mechanism on the side of the door. This is whats weird. You put the key in the passenger side lock and turn it to lock, turn again and the drivers doors locks and security system arms. I think the drivers side lock should function the same way right, but the drivers door lock does not lock the passenger door or arm the system. Passenger door does the same for unlocking, turn key to unlock and once again to unlock the drivers door.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would guess a broken wire in the drivers side door hinge area.

i don't have keyless or power locks to compare to on the dodge, but the wifey's explorer works like you described from both doors.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM
mattk
Amateur

I think I will take the panel off again and see if I check and see if I am getting power to the drivers side wires when I lock/unlock from the passenger door. I will keep this updated as I go.

Quick Reply: Power door lock question/help!