2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems shifting from inside the cab after transfer case rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Wurzberger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems shifting from inside the cab after transfer case rebuild

I have a 98 ram 1500 and just rebuilt the transfer case. The case shifted fine when it was on my work bench. After bolting it onto the truck with just the rear drive shaft hooked up im having problems shifting it inside the truck. If I pull the shifter all the way back to 4H it just stuck, I then have to go under the truck and push the left back on the case. To me the level on the case looks to far forward for there to be any leverage from the shifter. Did I screw something up putting it back together, shift linkage not adjusted right? Does the truck need to be started or anything? Right now its on jack stands with the transmission in neutral.
Any help would be appreciated, this project has taken far too long and I just got my hope up that I would be able to drive it by the end of the weekend.
Two quick pictures showing the linkage.

Last edited by HeyYou; 03-16-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I can see why it would be difficult to shift that way, the linkage is almost directly in line with the lever...... Somethin' ain't quite right there.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know for sure if my linkage is the same as yours or not, looks the same from what I can see in the pictures. The lever on the side of the T case on mine is vertical (12 O clock) in 2HI, and the lever from the shifter that the rod is connected to is angled slightly to the rear. The rod itself is fairly level. Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arde
Don't know for sure if my linkage is the same as yours or not, looks the same from what I can see in the pictures. The lever on the side of the T case on mine is vertical (12 O clock) in 2HI, and the lever from the shifter that the rod is connected to is angled slightly to the rear. The rod itself is fairly level. Hope this helps.

A photo would help!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
A photo would help!
Look at OP's pict. 2, it'll be clear to you. I have dialup, takes a long time to upload a photo to a server.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Wurzberger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was in 97 or 98 they changed the pattern on the np231. From forward to back on the shift ****, 4L, N, 2H, 4H. Those pictures are in 4H. In 4L the lever on the case is at about 11 o clock.
After looking at this picture it shows the slot being at an angle. Im off to check mine out, might just be on backwards.
Shift lever

Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if you have the lever on the t-case flipped? Is it a slot on the end? Or a shaped hole?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Arde
Look at OP's pict. 2, it'll be clear to you. I have dialup, takes a long time to upload a photo to a server.

Ooops. Did not see the hyperink...... I was looing for imbedded photo.

That shift arm is too straight in line as HeyYou stated. Basically, a lever is like a fulcrum, and must be able to push torotate, and not diectly to towards the shaft.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by gdstock
Ooops. Did not see the hyperink...... I was looing for imbedded photo.

That shift arm is too straight in line as HeyYou stated. Basically, a lever is like a fulcrum, and must be able to push torotate, and not diectly to towards the shaft.
Fixed it.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if you have the lever on the t-case flipped? Is it a slot on the end? Or a shaped hole?

What about shift rod? I had a truc with a bend in the shift rod, and the rod would fit eitehr way, but not line up correctly if flipped? Don't have 4wd Ram, so I cannot go outside and look.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fixed it.
Thanks! Makes it easier for us old guys. Been fighting with ball joints on a freaking Taurus and can only see the obvious!

Quick Reply: Problems shifting from inside the cab after transfer case rebuild